Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VaKristy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
I've got a white 13-inch MacBook I just upgraded to 10.5.8 (had problems doing that but finally got it done).

Now when it starts up, I get a login screen asking for Name & Password. It won't accept any I try (actual user or root). When I back up to the screen BEFORE the login screen, the only user option it gives me is OTHER.

Things I have tried:

1. Restarted from boot disk and changed the password on all 3 users (system, iphone & actual user). Did this multiple times, using same settings (blank password because I heard 10.5.8 doesn't like passwords with 8 characters or more). None of these work when I restart and try to login. None of these users show up in the opening screen as an option.

2. Restarted in single user and tried to change password there. When listing users, it gives me the correct username, however, when I type in the code to change the password for that user, it says no such user. I tried a longer code that actually deletes the password, then replaces it, I get the message that the delete command isn't right.

3. Restarted in safe boot, but it gives me the same login screen as a regular boot. No options to add a new account or anything.

4. When I start up MacBook in target mode, everything is still there and the correct username is still listed in the Users folder.

I am stumped at this point!:(

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated! Thx.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
have you tried repairing permissions? Passwords not being recognized screams out “permissions” namely your account cannot be read.

VaKristy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 24, 2009
Just did that using the Leopard install DVD. Still won't let me login and still only gives me one user option... "OTHER".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.