Can't login at start up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevhop, Feb 28, 2009.

1. stevhop macrumors newbie

I have a emac that I wanted to put in our guest room so I thought I would run the restore disks (OS 10.3.4). I put in the first disk and got the process started. I then had to leave for a while, I was not concerned as I thought when the 1st disk finished it would wait for me to install the second disk. When I got back the login window was on the screen, my pass word did not work nor did any variation. I have no idea what to do next, my next step was going to take it to the dump!! Help please. Thank you.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Did you try no password? Also, why not just pop the install discs back in and give another try?

3. stevhop thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I tried no password, no go. I also tried to reinstall disk, I could hear it working but the login window stayed on the screen.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

To get it to boot from the install disc you need to hold down the C-key during bootup, then it'll startup the install process before the login window ever shows up.

5. stevhop thread starter macrumors newbie

OK thanks, tried that but when the first disk was done it went to the login window again with the same results.

6. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Weird. You could boot again to the install disc, go to Utilities, and reset the admin password. Then let it boot normally and try logging in again.