Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Romans116

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2016
Hi all

I bought my first imac, late 2006.

After discovering that no apps work with Lion on the appstore I researched and used os x hackers technique to install Yosemite.

It has graphical issues and is slow so I used os x hackers recovery to patch it.

The keyboard and mouse stopped working at the log on screen so I cannot get to the desktop.

I cannot wipe the drive as the imac hdd will not unmount for erasing.

There is no option to reinstall either yosemite or lion on os x hackers recovery (hold alt and r at startup).

I have lion and yosemite installation files on my laptop and usb however when I boot from usb on imac it just boots the broken os that's already on.

Please help save an imac.

THANKS!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Insert your USB bootable installer. Restart your iMac while holding the Option key. If you don't have an Option key on your keyboard, then hold "alt". You should see a boot choice screen. Does your installer show as a choice? Click on that choice for the installer, then press Return (or Enter). You should now boot to the installer, where you can erase your drive with Disk Utility, and start over with an OS X install.

Romans116

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 13, 2016
Insert your USB bootable installer. Restart your iMac while holding the Option key. If you don't have an Option key on your keyboard, then hold "alt". You should see a boot choice screen. Does your installer show as a choice? Click on that choice for the installer, then press Return (or Enter). You should now boot to the installer, where you can erase your drive with Disk Utility, and start over with an OS X install.

This is one of the methods I have been trying. However when I click on the usb installer it just loads straight to the log on screen. Doesn't seem to acknowledge I have clicked on the usb to boot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.