can't login on windows after updating drivers from Bootcamp 1.3

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tolsky, Jun 19, 2007.

1. tolsky macrumors newbie

MBP Core 2 Duo, 15", 10.4.9, 2.16 Ghz, Boot ROM Version: MBP22.00A5.B01 SMC Version: 1.12f5:

Ok, so decided to update my drivers with the new Bootcamp (1.3). I had previously been running XP on it with an earlier Bootcamp (1.1.2) and without many problems but the occasional BSOD which suggested driver issue. Checked Mac was up to date, and burned the drivers disk and installed in windows. no problem with installation. restarted comp and now, on the windows side, I can't login cause mouse and keyboard are both dead. my keyboard is dead during windows startup (so I can't F8 into safe mode, not that that ever worked... even before these problems). all continues fine on the mac side (of course) but what can I do? Apart from repartition and a fresh XP install.I still have the original Bootcamp drivers.

My feeling is that whatever the Mac uses as a bios for windows (efi is it?) isn't loading the keyboard and mouse drivers. Obviously mouse drivers aren't normally loaded in windows until later, but maybe efi loads them both early on and that's just not happening. Is there a way to refresh the EFI I wonder? There used to be a zap thing (zaprom?) on Macs to do with startup? I imagine INtel Macs make that a thing of the past, but is that a relevant avenue...? Or maybe the wrong Boot Rom ending version B01 rather than B00 is the problem...

..cause as you can see above my Boot Rom Version ends B01 but apple site suggests that is for the 17" model and that B00 is for the 15", but that is nothing i have done so I'm assuming that's a typo... Can we download BootRoms or do they update automatically?

Thanks if anyone can help.

2. mags631 Guest

Shot in the dark: if you are using an Apple wireless keyboard (bluetooth), have you tried borrowing a USB keyboard (pretty much any will do) and plugging it to use to get into safe mode?

You definitely need something re-installed.

3. tolsky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply, I'm just using the MBP keyboard but i have plugged in usb keyboard and/or mice and it doesn't liven it up.

I'll try repairing the installation first i guess, and see how that goes.

4. azzurri000 macrumors 6502

I am having a similar problem where my keyboard and mouse now do not work at the windows login. Does anyone know what the solution might be?

Thanks in advance.

5. harryharia macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have the same problem....frustrating as I've been working with Boot Camp for over 6 months and am using the MBP XP2 for my work. I've also tried the following:

- external USB keyboard...not working... doesn't lightup at XP loginscreen
    - Interesting USB mous (Logitech Nano) does work which makes it possible for me to atleast shotdown.

I use to have another problem.... the CAPSL and NUML lights were working in a strange way.... do lights-on meant CAPSL and NUML OFF.... instead of the otherway around. This problem suddenly disappeared but no I'm not able to login to Windows as the keyboard is not responding including the mousepad.

Any one any idea.... can't find a sollution in the macforums.:(