Can't login to imessage and facetime.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adammazza, Mar 22, 2016.

1. adammazza macrumors newbie

I picked up a factory refurbished MBP today. I brought it home, began to set it up, and for some reason I can't log into imessage or facetime. What I mean by that is it just hangs. If I purposely enter in an incorrect password I get an expected incorrect login message, but otherwise nothing.

Also of note which may or may not be related, even though I am logged into my icloud account successfully I do not see my mbp in the "find my iphone app". Either via the icloud.com website or via the app on my iphone.

I've tried resetting my keychain, that didn't help.

On some boards I have seen a mention about having issues if the main board was replaced. I suppose that could be the case with this refurb. I do see that I have a serial number though. I am running 10.11.4.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd appreciate it. Thank you.

2. mustgroove macrumors regular

I have the same issue - I just installed El Capitan fresh today (full disk format and install from USB) and I've got the exact same issues.

3. adammazza thread starter macrumors newbie

So I went to the Apple store today. I told them everything I tried. They suggested they re-install the OS. After re-installing the OS, same thing. The tech went away for a bit, came back and suggested I return the laptop since I'd just bought it. He thought maybe it had something to do with it being a refurb and maybe the logic board getting replaced.

So, I headed back to where I purchased it (Microcenter) explained the situation and asked to try the other refurb unit they had. Same result.....At this point, they were a bit incredulous.

We went over to a machine they had setup on the floor (no-refurb) and I was able to immediately log into my imessage account. Anyway I ended up getting a refund.