Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcafaro10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
I'm new to macs. I forgot my root password which I needed to uninstall a program so I put in my OSX cd and went to the reset password tool. I reset the password for my user account as well as the root account. I gave them the same password and hit save. Then I rebooted and it asked me to login with my user account. The administrator account isn't there. I tried the new password (and I definitely typed it correctly) but it doesn't work. Now I can't login. What's going on?

guydude193

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2009
MI
Do you have a guest account? You can just access your accounts pane in the Guest Account and use the password to create the admin account.

POSIXFTW

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2009
Click Restart at the login window
While the computer is restarting, hold down "Command-S" until you see text scrolling through the window. This boots the computer into single user mode.
At the Localhost% prompt type:
/sbin/mount -uw /
/sbin/SystemStarter
You will then see various services starting up.

When the Localhost% prompt reappears, type:
passwd root
It will then ask you to type the new root password twice, so do so.

After entering the new password, type:
reboot

jcafaro10

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
I don't know if I have a guest account. When I used the cd, all that showed up was Administrator or my name when I went to reset password. When I try and login all that's there is my name. I don't understand why my password wouldn't work. It sort of seems silly to have a password resetter that doesn't work.

I'll try the other suggestion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.