Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
I can't log out, so whenever i switch user or just log out for some other reason, my computer freezes and i have to hold the power button to shut down my computer and then log in to another user/or just log in to mine again.

Has anyone else had this issue and what did you to do fix it? Its only on my user.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I can't log out, so whenever i switch user or just log out for some other reason, my computer freezes and i have to hold the power button to shut down my computer and then log in to another user/or just log in to mine again.

Has anyone else had this issue and what did you to do fix it? Its only on my user.
Have you tried quitting all your apps before logging out? Also check Activity Monitor to see if a process is hanging, preventing logout. You may have to force quit something.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Have you tried quitting all your apps before logging out? Also check Activity Monitor to see if a process is hanging, preventing logout. You may have to force quit something.

Yeah, i have tried quitting everything. I think its a process, but when ever i log out the computer freezes so i can't check activity monitor/terminal.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yeah, i have tried quitting everything. I think its a process, but when ever i log out the computer freezes so i can't check activity monitor/terminal.
Have you tried having Activity Monitor open while logging out? Or does it close it before it hangs?

One other thing: I seem to recall experiencing something like this years ago, either on logging in or logging out. I just left the computer and walked away for a few hours and when I came back, not only was it logged in (or out), but the problem disappeared after that.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
Have you tried having Activity Monitor open while logging out? Or does it close it before it hangs?

One other thing: I seem to recall experiencing something like this years ago, either on logging in or logging out. I just left the computer and walked away for a few hours and when I came back, not only was it logged in (or out), but the problem disappeared after that.

Logging out quits all applications, :confused:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Logging out quits all applications, :confused:

That would be what you want! :D
If you open the Force Quit window (Option-Command-esc), are there any apps, other than Finder in your Force Quit window? If you Force Quit (Relaunch) Finder, does that then let you shut down?
If you open your Console, then watch the system.log, you may see what the holdup may be, such as some process that is in a loop (and might show line after identical line in the console.)

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
That would be what you want! :D
If you open the Force Quit window (Option-Command-esc), are there any apps, other than Finder in your Force Quit window? If you Force Quit (Relaunch) Finder, does that then let you shut down?
If you open your Console, then watch the system.log, you may see what the holdup may be, such as some process that is in a loop (and might show line after identical line in the console.)

There are no applications open. In the console i have this error at least every minute.

Code:
2014-08-26 23:09:00,166 com.apple.IconServicesAgent[232]: main Failed to composit image for binding VariantBinding [0x6eb] flags: 0x8 binding: FileInfoBinding [0x2e5] - extension: PHP, UTI: public.php-script, fileType: TEXT.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
The computer freeze for how long (of course I mean before you perform the hard reset)? Is it freeze at with the pure grey screen?

For your info, Apple recommend perform a force restart before you try the force shut down. To do that, press "Command + Control + power button", you don't need to hold the buttons, and it may take few seconds for the computer to react.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
The computer freeze for how long (of course I mean before you perform the hard reset)? Is it freeze at with the pure grey screen?

For your info, Apple recommend perform a force restart before you try the force shut down. To do that, press "Command + Control + power button", you don't need to hold the buttons, and it may take few seconds for the computer to react.

It freezes on the grey screen, where does it say that apple recommends that?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I would not expect that Force-Quit, or forcing a restart will work from a plain grey screen.

@Intelligent - when you next are ready to log out or shut down, Open the Force Quit menu, and make sure that's clear, except for Finder. Then, also Relaunch the Finder from that window.
That procedure may help you log out normally.
Give the grey screen some time - maybe just let it sit for 10 minutes or so, just to see if your Mac eventually continues on its own.
If there's no help with that - boot to your recovery partition (Command-R), and launch Disk Utility. Run a Repair Disk (different from Repair Disk Permissions) on your hard drive.
Restart into Safe boot mode ( hold Shift until you see the rotating gear under the Apple icon, then log in at the login window). Safe boot will take much longer than a normal boot. It does some minor maintenance on some system cache files during that boot. After you get to the desktop, do a normal restart.
After it completes a restart, then try a log out.

Intelligent

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 7, 2013
And now i have more problems. I can't open AppleScript Editor or Disk Utility.

If i restart into (whats it called, restore mode? i don't remember) and run Disk Utility it reports no problems at all.

I have also reset SMC and NVRAM. I have a test user and i don't see these problems there so it's a user problem. I tried resetting the ACL permissions for my user but no luck there either.

I also repaired permissions using

Code:
diskutil repairpermissions /dev/disk0s2

But it only reports "ignorable" (according to Apple) errors.

Anyone know what this means?

Code:
2014-08-28 15:35:15,000 kernel[0]: disk1s2: general error.

and disk1s2 is my SD card.

After plugging out my SD card i can open Disk Utility and AppleScript Editor.
What?!?

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Code:
2014-08-28 15:35:15,000 kernel[0]: disk1s2: general error.

and disk1s2 is my SD card.

After plugging out my SD card i can open Disk Utility and AppleScript Editor.
What?!?

Can you successfully log out, and your other problems are gone, if you leave the SD card out?

If so, then I can recommend a good next step!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Does removing your card FIX all your issues?

Don't know for sure why, but your issues are not really surprising.
The SD card is on the USB bus, and is a storage device.
Yours has some kind of error that likely prevents the storage device from dismounting/releasing when you log out or shut down.
That could give a variety of potential issues, including lockups, severe system slowdowns, or even kernel panics/resets.
Try a different SD card.
If you still have the same problems, even with a different card, then there's likely a problem with your hardware (the internal SD card slot)
If you do buy another card - you might try a different brand, although that's your choice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.