Can't lower display colors enough, Sim City!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by antdfsc, Aug 12, 2010.

1. antdfsc macrumors member

antdfsc

Hey, I have a copy of Sim City classic, I tried installing on my MBP, no classic/can't lower the screen resolution low enough. I picked up a Power Mac 5500/225 from work, figuring it would do the trick. I can't get the graphics any lower then 256, the game wants 16! It also has a black and white game, but even after I turned the monitor to black and white, restarted, still didn't see it as two tone. Any ideas? I love the original version of the game, and even though I know people claim you can play on the Maxis site, they never send me a log in, no matter how many times I try! Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Replace the Powermac with an LCII or a compact Mac with a B&W screen. What OS is on the Powermac?

3. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Use an emulator.
    Basilisk or SheepShaver works great, I can play all my old games with them.

4. antdfsc thread starter macrumors member

antdfsc

I tried to download sheepshaver, but every link was dead. The site said you could download via CVS but I couldnt understand how to get any of that to work... I wish they would just re-release it for newer computers, that would make this so much easier!

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

For you. It would be so much harder (and expensive) for them.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I know ah! I also play SimCity sometimes but it sucks that I can only play it on my iBook G3 or iMac G3 ...

7. MacinDan macrumors regular

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I tend to find that programs like Sheepshaver don't really work as well as "the real thing" (the real thing being a PPC mac). I've tried using sheepshaver on a lot of different computers, and sometimes it has worked... But nothing can really compare to an iBook G3 or an iMac G3 ;)

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

With some tuning SheepShaver works very well!
    I have installations with both OS 7.5.5, OS and OS 9 for different programs and games.
    If you play around with different ROM files, luckily I have several older macs to get ROMs from :)

I'm using rom from my beige G3 for OS8, from my Sawtooth G4 for the OS9 installation and from my old 7100 for 7.5.5-

With basilisk i have roms from my old IIsi and Centris 650

10. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Sheepshaver just needs itself and the ROM of the old operating system, doesn't it?

11. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Yes, but you need a source for ROMs, having old machines around makes it easy and legal.

12. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Sure does! :D But surely OS9 isn't copyright still is it? Or if it was, it wouldn't be enforced...