Can't make a decision... Sell the MBA rev B ssd or keep the 13 mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by 1rottenapple, Nov 11, 2009.

  1. 1rottenapple macrumors 68020

    Apr 21, 2004
    argh!!! I am selling my almost new mbp 13 in, however, I'm debating keeping that and selling the air. Or selling the mbp or keeping the air. ARGGHH

    pros and cons
    -mbp-screen can be "glary"-con
    -mbp-battery is awesom
    -mba keyboard is better since the angle is flatter so its better at least in my opinion.
    -mba ssd is FAST
    -mba-hd is slower but its large at 250gb
    -mbp has a fast processor so video incoding is better though i rarely encode vids except when i burn dvds
    -protability, mba wins by a hair but I have a hiking backpack so that negates that advantage
    -mba screen is slightly better imo
    -mbp runs cooler

    Please note that i have both right now but I just can't decide to be honest what to keep and what to sell.
  2. entatlrg macrumors 68040


    Mar 2, 2009
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
    I have the same argument with myself once or twice a week, lol.
  3. phatcat macrumors regular

    Feb 10, 2008
    I dumped my rev C ssd and purchased a 15" MBP.

    The only real benefit to the Air is a weight advantage. While that was convenient, it didn't really matter much to me after a while. However I figured the Air would become more outdated faster than a MBP since you can't really upgrade it due to its non standard components (fixed ram/5mm SSD).

    As prices drop you'll be able to add up to 8gb of ram and a standard size 2.5" ssd to your pro. I like that. Oh and you can't beat the 7hr battery life.
  4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    I think your list is off.

    You said:
    Then said:
    I assume you meant the MBP HDD is slower. Which it is but you can add an SSD for a price, you know? (I mean the Intel or Runcore)

    MBA screen is only better IMHO because of the glare of the MBP. That 13" glassy gloss is gross and yet that is what I am moving to. You just have to find your angle and get used to it. It's doable and because I have an SSD waiting to go into a machine, I'm moving from the Air to the MBP myself. I'd keep both if I had reason.

    MBP battery is better, that is a winner there. The MBA is nice and thin, that's where it wins. Weight is not that much heavier and is negligible.

    MBP runs cooler? I guess so but my Air runs rather cool unless I am running videos while on my lap.

    My point is that if the notebook is your only one (based on your sig I think it is) then I would go MBP. I would only take the Air if I had another machine, which in my case I do.
  5. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

    NC MacGuy

    Feb 9, 2005
    The good side of the grass.
    I keep both of mine. One in use and a spare for the inevitable trips back to the homeland for repairs.;)
  6. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    Isn't that the same outcome?

    Sell the Air… :confused:

    If you have just one computer, I'd keep the MacBook.
  7. tubbymac macrumors 65816


    Nov 6, 2008
    Keep both like a few of us have if you can afford it. Otherwise if you want only one machine, I think you'd be better off with a MBP + upgrade the SSD yourself.
  8. entatlrg macrumors 68040


    Mar 2, 2009
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
  9. 1rottenapple thread starter macrumors 68020

    Apr 21, 2004
    Yeah I kept the MacBook air. I'm selling
    the mbp hopefullymhabe a buyer Saturday. You know I like how flat the keyboard on the MBA since it lays almost flat on the table. It's very comfortable. I also can't stand how reflective the screen on the mbp. I was at a coffee shop and could not find a seat without the sun behind me and it was terrible. So I'll stick with the MBA. Now I'd they come out with an air with the 7hr battery life, 4gb of ram, 256ssd, I'm soooo in!!!!
  10. entatlrg macrumors 68040


    Mar 2, 2009
    Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
    Which notebook do you use the most?
  11. coast1ja macrumors 6502

    Jul 13, 2009
    I'm having the same debate with myself right now... except I have a Rev. A 1.8 MBA... and the 2.53 13" 4gb MBP.

    My second debate is whether or not to keep the 30gb SSD I have in the MBP... It's really fast, but I need the space more. I could stick the original 250gb back in there, or get a 500gb 7200rpm for $80 at newegg. I like the speed of the SSD, but I can't spend upwards of $400 for one that has enough space. Any suggestions???
  12. MacModMachine macrumors 68020


    Apr 3, 2009
    on the second debate....swap optical drive for 500GB hdd , leave the ssd in there.

    best of both worlds.....even though you know you will keep the air :D
  13. coast1ja macrumors 6502

    Jul 13, 2009
    Is it possible to take out the optical drive and put the 500gb drive in there?... wouldn't that kill the battery life? any instructions online for this?
  14. donga macrumors 6502a


    May 16, 2005
    welcome to optibay

    to OP: you can always add an SSD and antiglare cover to the MBP. i think it's just a question of portability and taste. if you really need the portability go MBA, if not, MBP has more features
  15. 1rottenapple thread starter macrumors 68020

    Apr 21, 2004
    errrr kinda wanna keep the mbp again! Damn I need to sell one or the other ASAP so I can just keep one of them!
  16. coast1ja macrumors 6502

    Jul 13, 2009
    I Know!!!... it's really hard to decide... if my MBA was a Rev. B or C I would probably keep it.

    I just ordered a 120gb OCZ SSD to replace the HDD in my 13" 2.53 MBP, so I'm hoping that will make it easier to keep the MBP and sell the MBA.

    I know I will miss the portability big time... but the ability to run virtual machines without it freezing or being super slow just may make up for it. We'll see how it goes!

    Good luck deciding!

Share This Page