Can't Make Google Voice Calls on iPhone SE?oo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chungwan, Apr 7, 2016.

1. chungwan macrumors newbie

I haven't been able to make Google Voice calls on my new iPhone SE. Anyone else having the same issue? Or is this something to do with the carrier I'm using?
    Thanks

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Bingo.

As long as you set up google voice correctly and your carrier supports call forwarding, you should be perfectly fine. Which carrier do you have?

3. chungwan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using Tracfone which buys bandwidth from Verizon. However, my old Samsung was on the same set up (ie Tracfone on Verizon network). So, I'm baffled why just changing handset I can no longer make GV calls but receiving is ok. Help! Thanks

4. noanker macrumors member

noanker

I have Google Voice on my SE and was just able to place a call without issue. AT&T is my carrier.

5. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

6. chungwan thread starter macrumors newbie

Hal~9000 thanks so much for sharing that article. However, I don't think it answered my question. I have no problem receiving GV calls. It is the outbound making calls that is not working at all. I also used Tracfone with my old Samsung phone and didn't have the same issue.

7. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

What happens when you try?

I don't think your provider's "call forwarding" is involved in a Google Voice outgoing call. You dial the number in the Google Voice app, which informs the Google Voice system that your call is coming, then your iPhone dials a Google Voice relay number that connects you to your destination number. Sort of a three-way call between Google, you and the party to whom you are speaking...with Google in charge of the three-way hookup.

I can make them with no problem on StraightTalk, which is using Tracfone/AT&T towers.

8. chungwan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your feeback. I think it might have something to do with tracfone/verizon combo.