Can't make Macbook 1181 Boot. Strange situation

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by b18turboef, Aug 7, 2012.

1. b18turboef macrumors newbie

So more or less I've had plenty of extra parts sitting around and assembled an A1181 (white 2.4ghz macbook) logic board into what will become a cheap iMac in the garage. Took the board, installed RAM, used the video out adapter to VGA and plugged it into a monitor etc. In all reality it should act the same as being inside a laptop. Only difference is I don't have a battery hooked up.

Now it turns on and seems to act completely normal, if I don't have a DVD drive hooked up and no hard drive it just shows a question mark. If I hook up a hard drive that has OSX or a DVD drive with a Snow Leopard disk it will boot, but goes through the "Apple" screen and stops at the "space screen". It does not display anything other than just the background and I can't figure out what the issue would be. I've tried multiple install disks, multiple DVD drives, multiple hard drives etc. Below would be the screen it hangs up on. I assume it must be something simple I'm overlooking:

[​IMG]

2. b18turboef thread starter macrumors newbie

300+ views and not a single idea why a macbook would hang up on that screen?? it even goes to sleep and wakes up like a normal computer... C'mon guys