Can't make phone calls/texts from OS X Yosemite?

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by Danyek, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Danyek macrumors newbie

Hello,

I downloaded OS X Yosemite, and I'm trying to figure out how to make phone calls/texts from my mac. My iPhone has iOS 8. When I try to call someone, it says "Calling (name) with iPhone" , but shortly after says "Call Failed". I haven't figured out how to send a text message either.

Do I need to enable something? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

-Daniel

2. poiihy macrumors 68020

poiihy

Features like continuity and phone are disabled in beta

3. oMc, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014

oMc macrumors 6502

oMc

Phone calls are supposed to work, however.

Make sure phone calls are enabled in FaceTime prefrences on your Mac and your iPhone.

4. azpekt macrumors regular

I assume I cannot make a call from Mac, if my iPhone is just connected by cable - but not residing in any wifi networks?

5. oMc macrumors 6502

oMc

Both devices have to be connected to the same wifi network for phone calls.

6. thefrenches macrumors member

I've got iOS8 installed on my iPhone, and beta 3 version of Yosemite, both systems on the same wifi network, both pieces of hardware restarted several times just in case, and I can't get it to work. Calls are enabled (well, there's no selection to 'enable' calls, technically) on FaceTime, with my correct cell number in it, and the two devices are right next to one another. Yet anytime I try calling my cell from a landline, I can't get the computer to show a notification of incoming call...

7. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

I've been using it all day. What type of Mac/iPhone?

8. thefrenches macrumors member

27" Late 2012, iPhone 5S

9. BavMotoWerkz macrumors newbie

So this is why I can't get SMS Relay to work? I have iOS8 as of yesterday and the latest OSX Yosemite Beta.

10. oMc macrumors 6502

oMc

SMS relay is disabled until October and an iOS update. Have you even performed a research? It's said like everywhere on the forum and on many websites.

11. thefrenches macrumors member

Phone is supposed to work in beta - it's working for a couple buddies of mine.

12. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

It should work but it is still not a final release. I would sign out and the sign back into iCloud/Apple ID on the devices to see if you can get it to register correctly and hopefully start working. It's a trick for Apple ID related issues in the Hackintosh community.

13. oMc macrumors 6502

oMc

Have you even read my previous messages...?

I have never said that phone calls are not working.
    SMS relay is not working.
    Phone calls are working (for most users).

14. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I noticed SMS relay and calling work 30% of the time. I can't figure out the rhyme or reason as to when it does or does not.

15. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

Just gave this a go and it's not working for me, despite signing out and back in to iCloud on both devices.

iOS8 and latest public beta of Yosemite - just trying to make calls.

To be honest though, every 'seamless' Mac or iOS feature is always buggy as hell for the first couple of iterations. I remember hating WiFi sync for the same reason.

16. havmir53 macrumors member

Try it Again ...

First time I tried ... I could not do it either. So ... I changed network from the 5 ghz to the regular 2.4 ghz on both iPhone 6 iOS 8 and MMP Yosemite ... and voila ... I can accept calls and call out. Works via FaceTime interface. I'm not sure if its the change to a different network and initialization or if its the 2.4 ghz network that made the magic happen. I'm going to leave both machines on the 2.4 mhz radios for now ... I've got a bunch of other things that soak up the 5 ghz band ... so ... maybe next week I'll try going back to the 5 ghz radios. For now .. I'm happy as a clam that its all working.

Bottom line ... try resetting your networks .. making sure you are on the same network for both machines ... let us know what happens.

17. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Well, I must be lucky because it worked the first time I tried it tonight, I was on a call for over an hour...

As its been said before, check the Facetime preferences on both Mac & Phone...

18. gamesetmatch macrumors regular

gamesetmatch

I can't get this Continuity to work in my Macbook.

Interestingly, it all worked with Yosemite Public Beta 2.

Now, on Public Beta 3 and iOS 8, I can make calls from my Mac, but cannot RECEIVE them in my computer.

I made sure that:
    - all my devices are logged into the same Wi-Fi network
    - all are signed up under the same Apple ID/iCloud account
    - The option "iPhone Cellular" is turned on in both my iPhone and Mac
    - Network settings reset.

I know my Mac is unsupported for Handoff, but I guess Continuity should work WITHOUT Bluetooth support.

Do you happen to know any workaround for this?

Thank you!

Mark.

19. BSben macrumors 6502a

In theory this works on my Mac Mini ( i see incoming calls and can 'answer' with no sound), the problem is that since Yosemite I can use my external Creative Cam's Microphone for dictation, sending sounds via iMessage, but it never works for FaceTime or phone calls. Tried many things, but to no success.

20. jbkonis macrumors newbie

Receiving/making phone calls from my Mac is working seamlessly.

SMS is not, as I believe it's not active as of yet.

Both devices logged in to same iCloud account, and on the same network.

21. BSben macrumors 6502a

There is also an App out (can't remember the name at the moment) that gives you a dialling pad, similar the that on the iPhone to make it easier to ring people that are not in your contacts. I hope they fix that problem with external microphones soon.

22. havmir53 macrumors member

Dialing App

That would be a very useful app ... didn't occur to me that I'd want to dial out a number other than a contact ... but sure ... that would be very useful. Anyone out there have a clue as the name? I'll start hunting.

----------

The Dialer is available as a beta ... try this link http://continuitykeypad.co

I just installed it .. and it works great ... joy.

23. 3282868 macrumors 603

You can dial any number in FaceTime, right in the search field, doesn't have to be in your contacts. No need for a keypad.

24. BSben macrumors 6502a

Maybe it is just me, but I can put a number in the search field, but it doesn't do anything.

25. JoelBaka macrumors member

I'm confused... SMS relay is that when you use iMessage on your phone it also shows up on your mac, and that you can send texts with your cell number instead of just your Apple ID on your mac right? Because the whole texting with my macbook and all that is working great here, as is calling. Or is SMS relay something else? :)