Can't make transparency layer png into an icon in Mavericks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Partron22, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Partron22 macrumors 68000

Partron22

I occasionally make icons for such things as hard drives. They usually require at least some transparency around the edges.

In Mavericks, Photoshop CS5, both save as png and export for web produce icons with white where transparent should be.
    So do Preview, Fasticns, ImageAlpha, and Icon Composer.

Going back to 8.5 and dumping a png with transparency onto Fasticns works just fine, and when I switch back to 9.1, open the icns in Preview, copy alll the views, and paste them onto a file's getInfo icon, I get a nice icon with transparency in Mavericks. That just seems a lot of work for an icon in the latest OS.

Has anyone found a simple Mavericks-native method of creating icons with transparency ?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can easily create images with transparency in Preview, then use them as icons.

How to change the icon for any disk, app, file or folder

As an example:
    image.jpg

3. Partron22 thread starter macrumors 68000

Partron22

I've been doing that, and it's worked since pre-Snow Leopard days. Under Mavericks, the transparent part the image is converted to whitespace when I try pasting onto the GetInfo windows Icon image
    The transparency wand tool in Preview is working, but the saved images icon has white space where transparency belongs.

Ahh, transparency shows up in an icon if I copy from the image itself, not its icon, and paste that directly into the Get Info image of the file whose icon I want to alter.

That's changed behavior since ML. Still left with an annoying loss of transparency when I paste from Photoshop to Preview, but with Preview's transparency wand, that's liveable.