Can't make up mind - uni macbook or macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by michieltjee, Aug 2, 2009.

1. michieltjee macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I've read several topics on this subject, I even visited the macwiki, but it does not give me a definitive answer on my question.

I've been using a windows vista computer for about... 2 years now, it's a big 17 inch packard bell. When I bought it (actually, my parents) I was really psyched, big screen, good for movies! Well, it's wearing me down right now. I experience alot of lacking in performance and the OS irritates me each day.

I need a computer that is reliable and just WORKS, people who've used vista know what I mean, I guess :).

Anyways,

When I went to my local Apple store, I tried out the macbookpro 13 inch and wanted to buy one immediately. However, over the weekend I've been looking at quite a few youtube videos about comparisements regadering the macbook aluminium and macbook pro. For some reason it looks like I'm more of a macbook person, but something doesn't feel right.

I want to use a computer for everyday use: mail, browsing, an occasional photoshop/movie making session, making presentations, using word, playing music/videos from iTunes. I don't really use a SD card slot, I didn't even know what firewire is. Still there's something that doesn't feel right. It feels like the macbook uni is to slow for me, but this is a statement based on nothing, just my gut feeling. It doesn't make sense testing speeds in the store, since my files and apps aren't on there.

I'm not a rich guy, but I've earned some $$$ the past 2 months, and I want a new, good computer that is, like I said before, reliable. I don't want to ''throwaway'' cash (like 200euros), since I want to buy an airport and new speakers.

Hope someone can help me here!,

Cheers!,
    Michiel.

Could anyone help me out here?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The MacBook Pro is far superior to the MacBook.

3. michieltjee thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess so, but will those 200 euros be worth it if you look at what I use my computer for? People around me say the pro is more for video editing, etc.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Speed-wise uMB and MBP 13" are basically the same. It all comes down to features:

MBP:

- better screen
    - more battery life
    - backlight keyboard on both models
    - SD card slot
    - FireWire port.

You decide if its worth the price difference or not.

5. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    I don't think the current, polycarbonate MacBook has a unibody enclosure. Only the aluminum notebooks do.

Anyway, I'd say go for the 2.26Ghz 13.3" MacBook Pro. It's very cheap for what it has to offer, and, if you go for the polycarbonate MB, consider that many people have complained over the poor quality of the case.

If you don't use FireWire right now, you will in the future, because it's a far better option for back-up due to its high speed.

Also consider the fact that the MB has DDR2 memory, while the Pro has DDR3, AND you can always upgrade it to 8MB, while the polycarbonate one can only hold up to 4GB.

I'd say get the cheapest Pro, and then buy third-parties if you need them. I think the Airports are overpriced, just like any Apple product, except for OS X and iPod nano.

6. michieltjee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply,

I'm not talking about the polycarbonate Macbook, my local macstore sells this aluminium/unibody mac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOOENPMWGJU

7. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

I was in your shoes and I went with the macbook pro. What brought me to this decision is that I use my computer every day! The $200 is worth it. If you don't have the 200 euros then wait and save. Believe me it will be sweeter when you do.

Later you can buy peripherals for a good deal on ebay. I bought a airport extreme base-station for $80. Be disciplined and wise with your money.