Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

temon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Hello.

Any help will be appreciated.

After a failed Boot Camp Windows 8 installation my drive has 50 GB empty space (the former partition) that Disk Utility can't merge with the main partition nor format it.

And if I boot from the USB stick made by Boot Camp, Windows begins the installation, but inmediately reboots and I can't even access to insert the product key.

I've read about some other utilities that can fix this partition problem (Testdisk, GPT fdisk), but I'm not that advanced user and I think that I have messed up enough.

Thanks in advance and excuse my english.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Take Weaselboy's advice first.

If that doesn't work, you can do it the long way:
- Back up the Mac partition to an external drive (I recommend a "cloning" app such as CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper - either is free to download and use for 30 days)
- Boot from the external clone
- Re-initialize the internal drive (with one Mac partition)
- "RE-clone" the contents of the external back to the internal

This will get rid of the Windows partition, but again, it's more work.

temon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Thanks, Weaselboy. I tried that, but something is wrong with the partition because Boot Camps says that can't run on the disk because is partitioned. In DU appears as a partition with no format titled 'Free space' that can't be merged nor formatted.

Fishrrman, I'll follow the long way. I don't mind losing data, I keep a copy of main photos, music and work related files. I'm a little bit frightened by reinitializing the HDD because is a 1TB Fusion Drive. Thanks for your advice!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Just to clarify I was talking about running the boot amp assistant app not windows in boot amp. Can you not run the bootcamp assistant app that you used to create to bootcamp partition to start with?

temon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2013
Yes, the assistant starts and can't continue because it says that the disk is already partitioned. As the partition hasn't any format at all, is 'free space', Boot Camp can't restore it to normal. I can't format that 'free space partition' in Disk Utilities nor merge it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.