Can't migrate bootcamp partition from ML to El Capitan!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sneak3, Oct 14, 2015.

1. sneak3 macrumors 6502

Hey guys!

I'm having some serious trouble with migrating my bootcamp partition from an old SSD which had a windows 8.1 + mountain lion combo to a new SSD, in which I installed a fresh El Capitan copy.

I've tried creating an image with winclone while in ML, saving it in an external drive. Then restore the image back when inside El Capitan but even though it says "completed", the partition can't be select in boot option by holding "option".

Then I tried Paragon Bootcamp Backup and it's even worse. I save the image just like I did for Winclone but the "restore" tab of the app in El Capitan is grayed-out. It just doesnt make any sense. They advertise as a migration software but it seems all you can do is restore from previous saves in the same drive.

So am I doing anything wrong?
    Has the way that bootcamp is handled by the OS X changed from ML to El Capitan, so that these softwares are not working properly?
    Are there any solutions left? Maybe if I create an image using Windows itself, then reinstall windows in the new SSD and restore from that image via BIOS menu?

2. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502