Can't modify partitions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Usering, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Usering macrumors newbie

For some reason, I can't modify my disk partitions. I look at Disk Utility in partitions and everything is greyed about and disabled. Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]
    I want to delete the Yosemite disk, but as stated above, it isn't letting me remove it.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

2. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Just a guess, when you brought up that screen, were you booting up Yosemite?
    Try perhaps -

1) boot up into Mavericks and see if you can remove Yosemite.
    or
    2) back up your Mavericks partition and then boot up on the back (external drive) and just wipe the entire original drive and then copy over your external back up of Mavericks. While this is rather a brute way to do things, it should work.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is because Yosemite converted the partition into a core storage volume. Just follow this to delete it. Then you will be able to expand Mavs partition back into the free space.

4. Usering thread starter macrumors newbie

Turns out I had to erase the Yosemite partition and then it was unlocked to remove the partition.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you follow those terminal steps it would have nuked the Yosemite partition and had the same effect. Some people don't seem to be able to erase it like you did and the Terminal method will overcome that. Glad you got it sorted. :)