can't mount any other drives

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by ghostlines, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ghostlines, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011

ghostlines macrumors regular

ghostlines

I can't mount any other drives except the startup drive. I see my usb external hdd paritions in 'disk utiliy' but can't mount them.
    I see my second internal ssd partition in 'disk utility' but can't mount it.

I can even repair the usb external hdd partitions which are formatted to HFS+ and the output is 'disk seems ok' but can't mount still.

What's up with this? Anyone experiencing similar issues after update to 10.7.1?

This is the output of the console, it's doing this over and over

Aug 19 00:28:09 Rogue com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds
    Aug 19 00:28:14 Rogue mtmfs[304]: mount failed for /Volumes/MobileBackups 9
    Aug 19 00:28:14 Rogue com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mtmfs[304]): Exited with code: 22
    Aug 19 00:28:14 Rogue com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.mtmfs): Throttling respawn: Will start in 5 seconds
    Aug 19 00:28:19 Rogue com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.aslmanager): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

I also repaired my disk permissions before this happend I think that may be the culprit, cuz now I'm seeing that
    the permissions directories in /Volumes/ are all d--x--x--x
    Is this correct? Could it be my SSD failing?

2. ghostlines thread starter macrumors regular

ghostlines

When I try to mount disks from disk utility it says 'the disk cannot be mounted try first aid on the disk and then retry mounting'

I can't even repair the disk because it can't mount. chicken and the egg kinda problem. Any help is appreciated.

3. ghostlines thread starter macrumors regular

ghostlines

It seems that the Time Machine local backup feature caused this. It was trying to mount drives but for some reason it was always unsuccesful. It keeped on trying to mount drives and when it failed it created a mount point and named it 'mount point 1', then 'mount point 2', 'mount point 3', and so on...........

I googled how to stop the this feature and the terminal command is:

sudo tmutil disablelocal

This solved the problem for me. I'm happy I didn't have to result to a reinstall(the cowards way out)

4. ghostlines thread starter macrumors regular

ghostlines

default mount permissions wrong

It seems I still have problems mounting my drives.
    I checked the console and it seems that the diskarbitrationd process that mounts drives makes mount points in /Volumes but sets insufficient permissions on the mount points to be able to mount the drives!

It sets d--x--x--x. When I change the permissions to drwxwrxwrx I can then manually mount the drive.

Any care to give their take on what is causing this, and how it may be fixed?