Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Hong Kong
Title says it all. Before I erased XP to install Vista, I copied many of my programs/games to an NTFS formatted external firewire drive. I cannot access the files in Vista. The drive does however, appear in Device Manager.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
jamesmcd said:
Title says it all. Before I erased XP to install Vista, I copied many of my programs/games to an NTFS formatted external firewire drive. I cannot access the files in Vista. The drive does however, appear in Device Manager.

OK - Righy click on my computer and choose 'manage' and from the new window, choose the disk utility

Does the drive apper in the list and is it a primary drive?

Suspended
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
Hong Kong
Ok,

First, let me describe the drive's original formatting. There is about 50GB formatted NTFS for my windows files, and another 30 or so GB for my mac files (HFS+).

In the disk management window, the drive appears on the map (bottom part) but it is rather, confused. The drive is only 80GB, but it is showing as 123.99GB. It is showing two partitions for that drive. The first partition is shows is about 80GB, which would be right for the whole thing. The second partition is 50GB. That 50GB will be my Windows files that I had.

It is showing up as a primary partition btw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.