Can't mount NTFS drives in OS X 10.6.7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wilywampa, May 26, 2011.

1. wilywampa macrumors member

Sep 21, 2007
    I have an external hard drive connected by FireWire (or USB) and a Bootcamp partition. I can see both of them in Disk Utility, but I get the error "The disk “BOOTCAMP” could not be mounted." when I try mounting them. I have tried the Repair Disk option on the drives, and it works, but they still won't mount. I have tried using MacFUSE, Tuxera NTFS, NTFS-3G, and Paragon NTFS (installed and uninstalled one at a time) and had no success with any of them. This is extremely frustrating because I had no problems with this on my old MBP, but it just won't work on this Early 2011 MBP. Any ideas?
  2. wilywampa thread starter macrumors member

Sep 21, 2007
    I also tried reformatting a small USB flash drive as NTFS in Disk Utility, and I can't even mount that in OS X.
  3. wilywampa thread starter macrumors member

Sep 21, 2007
    I fixed it by removing /System/Library/Filesystems/ufsd.fs/

What a waste of a night.
  4. JeMaTo macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2011
    Thank you! you are amazing!
  5. Gabbelito macrumors newbie

Jun 11, 2011
  6. wilywampa thread starter macrumors member

Sep 21, 2007
    After solving the problem on my own, I found this webpage that suggests the same solution. It's in Paragon's Knowledge Base, not some random forum post, so I think you can trust it. I do know for a fact that that file does not come with OS X, so deleting it at least shouldn't cause problems.
  7. Seagee48 macrumors newbie

Aug 7, 2011
    Thanks !!

Thank you so much for posting this solution.

Worked like a charm !!

8. bowjol macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2011

I can see the disk using disk utility but I can't mount it. Try repair disk and verify disk with no luck. In my iMac I already installed PARAGON and NTFS 3G but the disk still can't mount.

This simple solution, really works.:)
  9. deepakvrao macrumors regular

Oct 16, 2011
    Just can't find this file and I see others also seem to have the similar issues. Any suggestions?
  10. mekkab macrumors newbie

Feb 22, 2012
    this worked for a FAT volume

I have a 16gb usb stick that was FAT formatted. su'd, cd'd to /System/Library/Filesystems, 'rm -rf exfat.fs' and now disk utility can unmount and reformat the drive.
  11. pia12254 macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2010
    I was also having similar issues and didn't have that file referenced above.

My solution ended up being a combination of a couple of things. First, my NTFS drive would mount, but I couldn't write to it, files wouldn't show up, etc.

I finally realized I had an older version of the NTFS plugin. I forgot that I had upgraded my system to Lion since buying the plugin. After I upgraded from Ver. 7 to Ver. 9.5 of the plugin the drive wouldn't show up on the Desktop or in the plugin interface.

However, it did show up in Disk Utility, so I did the Verify/Repair disk and there were some issues. After it went through and did its thing the drive started mounting and I can now read/write to it as before.

Hope this helps!