Can't mount SDXC card, NTFS format

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mman824, Aug 24, 2012.

1. mman824 macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook pro 5.1 (unibody, late 2008) running OS X 10.5.8
    I recently got a canon G1X camera and 64gb SDXC card from SanDisk. I just put the card in the camera and started taking pictures. Now I have 1,600 some pics on the card in raw and .jpeg, which is probably around 40 gb, and I can't get the pictures off the card. I can't connect the camera to my computer via USB because it says 'communication error', which according to the manual means that I have over 1,000 pictures on the card so it won't work. I tried an SD card reader and it said I couldn't mount the drive. DiskUtility told me it was formatted in NTFS, so I tried on a windows machine running Vista and it said I needed to format the drive before it could be read. Then I got Tuxera NTFS, still won't mount the disk. Now it lets me run 'verify disk' though, here's what I got.
    Verifying volume “disk1s1”
    ntfsck 3011.12.9-mac
    NTFS signature is missing.
    Couldn't open volume '/dev/disk1s1'!
    Checking NTFS Superblock ...
    Correcting errors...
    Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument
    Trying the alternate boot sector
    Unrecoverable error
    Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk.
    ERROR(22): Opening '/dev/disk1s1' as NTFS failed: Invalid argument
    The device '/dev/disk1s1' doesn't have a valid NTFS.
    Maybe you selected the wrong partition? Or the whole disk instead of a
    partition (e.g. /dev/hda, not /dev/hda1)? This error might also occur
    if the disk was incorrectly repartitioned.
    Error: Filesystem verify or repair failed.

I can look at the pictures on the camera, and on other Canon cameras (haven't tried other brands). I know that my pictures are there and the card works, but I don't know if it's actually NTFS or how to get my pictures off the card. Any help would be great.

2. mman824 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, well I've figured out my very simple problem...and since I can't delete this thread I'll share. SDXC cards come in the exFAT format (not NTFS like I had thought), which OS X 10.5.8 can't read/write. I've since upgraded my OS, and voila- pictures.