Can't move documents into Trash

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by gigi6546, Oct 9, 2011.

1. gigi6546 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I recently purchased a macbook pro os x lion and it's my first apple computer that I own so I don't know that much about how everything works.
    Since yesterday, I noticed that I can't move files in my documents (e.g. word, excel etc.) into the trash. When I try to, it asks for my password and deletes it but the trash icon doesn't fill up and the file gets deleted before I manually go into the trash icon on the dock to empty it, which is what I want.

Does anyone know the solution to this problem? I'm really scared about making changes to the computer since I'm don't really know how macs work yet! :S Please help me!
    Thanks in advance.

2. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Don't worry, as long as you don't go and tweak with the system files, there's a really low chance of you doing something irreversible to your mac. Your trash can problem shouldn't be happening. Try pressing command+option+escape and relaunch the finder (force quit).

3. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1194119&p=13005577

:)

4. gigi6546 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure about how I'm supposed to do things on the terminator. Do I enter each command on the next line then quit the terminator?:confused:

5. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yes, you should enter each line within the Terminal, then hit the return key to execute the command. Some commands require your admin password.

More info:
    http://macapper.com/2007/03/08/the-terminal-an-introduction/

6. gigi6546 thread starter macrumors newbie

So from the instructions in the link given above, should I:
    (1) type: sudo rm -frv ~/.Trash after my user name in the terminal
    (2) press 'enter' then type: mkdir -v ~/.Trash
    (3) press 'enter' again then type: osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to quit'
    (4) press 'enter' then type: osascript -e 'tell application "Finder" to activate'
    (5) press return key

I'm kind of scared of doing something wrong and not being able to fix it, so sorry if I'm asking so many questions :S

7. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

If you are afraid of a typo while writing the commands, you can copy text and simply paste it in Terminal. (one at a time)

8. gigi6546 thread starter macrumors newbie

So are the steps that I mentioned correct or do I press the return key after each step?

9. AmbiguousNinja macrumors regular

AmbiguousNinja

Just copy and paste! Here's a little hint, NEVER type sudo rm -rf /

10. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

11. gigi6546 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you so much for all your help to all of you who took the time to reply!! :)
    I can now drag items from my documents to the trash. But, I still can't seem to drag items from the 'documents' or 'downloads' from my dock!

How can I fix this?
    It hasn't been that long since I've purchased my mac and I've been so careful using it but yet there seems to be problems with it already that I'm starting to worry how many more problems will arise in the long run :S.