Can't move files from HD to finder in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by fsdoboy1, Aug 15, 2011.

1. fsdoboy1 macrumors newbie

I have a new 27 inch IMac 3.4 ghz. I cannot move files from the built in 1 TB HD to the finder- only copy the files. Also, when moving items from HD to trash I have to authenticate with my password. Any suggestions?

2. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

3. basher macrumors 6502

basher

What do you mean by copy to Finder? Finder is just simply a file management utility.

4. fsdoboy1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry. I have been using a Mac since 1986 but am not very sophisticated from a technical point. My problem is that up till now on older MAcs (i.e. before I bought my new IMac with Lion preinstalled) when I had a file in my internal hard drive and wanted to move it to the desktop I simply dragged it from inside the HD to the desktop and vice versa. Now instead of being able to move it, the computer copies the file from the HD to the desktop and vice versa. Also the computer asks me to authenticate and provide my administrator password. I repaired the permissions but still have the same problem Finally, I also had this same problem with my mac mini a short time ago when I upgraded that computer to OSX Lion. Thanks in advance for the help.