Cant move files off of portable hd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by armenakadino, Jul 1, 2009.

1. armenakadino macrumors member

I have a hp personal media drive where all my stuff from my pc is. I put it on there when I got rid of my pc and now I need the files when I try moving them over it keeps saying not sufficent privlages

2. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

That says how to delete it the files are locked and I cant move them off the hd to my mac where there needed

3. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

We'd need more info. From Terminal, enter some of the following commands and post the results here. When posting them, be sure to use the code tags (the button with the # on it) so that it gets formatted properly.

Code:
    ls -ago /Volumes/portableHDName
    (That's a lowercase L at the start)

Also take a look at this thread where a similar issue from a couple people was worked through. There's various techniques to try out. Be sure to post some of the outputs (from commands) here if you need further help. It's hard to troubleshoot so any additional information, such as the outputs, will help us understand what might be going on.

5. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

It said no file found, the harddrive is set only to reading it said that in the info screen is there any way to get it not to do that

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Did you type it exactly as I wrote, or did you replace the end part with the actual volume name? It needs the name of your HD.

For the Get Info screen, you should be able to use the drop down box to choose different permissions. You may need to first click the little lock icon to be able to change those settings.

7. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

oh i forgot to add the hd name i wrote exactly i been looking for that lock icon its no where to be found