Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aicul

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
no cars, only boats
Not a folder

It is not a folder !!

It shows up in the background application list when the home button is double clicked.

It is just that apple decided to not let it enter a folder.

hspace

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
...Yep, which makes no sense.

Newsstand is fundamentally NO DIFFERENT than iBooks. Perhaps it should even have been rolled into iBooks.

ToBeFair

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
One more thumbs down for News Stand

Add my voice of discontent for an unwanted, un-used piece of clutter app being forced onto my Homescreen.
A phone or tablet becomes a very personalized device and to have someone else decide for you, what will and won't be on your primary Homescreen, is a rude and arrogant action IMO.
Big thumbs down to this blatant herding of users into Apple's next content revenue stream.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I read books on my iPhone on a daily basis and love it. The iPad is too big to read in bed for my tastes.

How is the iPad too big for bed? It's roughly the size of a hardcover book. Call me old fashioned or a dinosaur (and I know somebody here will), but I prefer the experience of a physical book.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
For those that are Jailbroke, Cydia has an app called "NoNewsIsGoodNews" that hides Newsstand until SBSettings gives us the option. Mine IS GONE:D

hostelo

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
Dominican Republic
for those who hate newsstand

create a new folder with two apps and QUICKLY drag the newsstand app to the folder while its being created and you will be able to get it in there

you wont be able to open newsstand when in the folder (error is given or something) but for those who dont use it you can hide it!!

thunderboltmac

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
sudo
You can't put folder into folder...

Is anyone else having a problem moving newstand into a folder?

Well... Newsstand is actually a folder to store all your magazine "apps", but it also acts differently as a folder because you can close the folder/app, unlike other folders.

scorchedguitar

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011

create a new folder with two apps and QUICKLY drag the newsstand app to the folder while its being created and you will be able to get it in there

you wont be able to open newsstand when in the folder (error is given or something) but for those who dont use it you can hide it!!

Worked just fine for me. I even like that it's invisible from the home screen - another personal way to be creative with the icons.

Kurfer

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
I look at newsstand as a useless item in ios5. I use my phone/pc/ipad to avoid reading newspapers/magazines. Why would I want to incorporate stale old technology into my electronics again?!

iRumored

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

There's hardly any magazines that's worth a damn on there right now.. I think in a bit of time it will be a lot better and people will actually use it.. But right now, uhh.. We already had the NYTimes app, Apple..

73CortinaV8

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Palo Alto, CA

Nice. It took me a couple of tries. You have to move drag it the instant you release the 2nd app. Now I have Newstand in a folder called "Crap" all by itself so I don't have to look at it. Heh.

MikeFairbanks

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Newsstand sucks.

Nothing but an eyesore on my homescreen. Poop on Apple for forcing it on us. It should be optional for those who want it.

I am not one of those people.

daihard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Seattle, WA
Nice. It took me a couple of tries. You have to move drag it the instant you release the 2nd app. Now I have Newstand in a folder called "Crap" all by itself so I don't have to look at it. Heh.

LOL. My Newsstand is in the "Apple" folder together with the other unused built-in apps (i.e. Compass, Stocks and Voice Memo). :)

LastOneToKnow

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
East Coast, USA
Your results may vary, but it certainly appears that nesting the Newsstand app within a folder does not result in any issues when backing up to iTunes, then having to perform a restore later on. I had to perform a restore the other day and everything appears to be busniess as usual. The Newsstand app was simply back on the home page again after the restore. First thing I did was nest it in a newly created folder. :)

Runmaster

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
Burdens

Newstand is just another burden to those who want to have freedom on the device they paid hundreds of dollars for to customize it to their own likes and prefrences which they should have a right to. Wifi is rubbish in Australia and on an iPod touch it's almost useless unless you log in alot on a wireless home network. It was bad enough with stocks and the other apps that sat there unused because of this problem but at least some of them could be shut off in the restrictions page or tucked into some backended folder that remained forever closed.

croc122

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
yes, you CAN add Newsstand to a folder with a simple glitch!

1. Pick a random app on your homescreen that isn't all ready in a folder. We'll call it "App A"

2. Put another app [App B] right next to "App A"

3. Put the Newsstand folder nearby these two apps.

4. Drag "App A" onto "App B" or vice versa to create a folder.

5. QUICKLY, drag Newsstand into the newly created folder...You have to be really fast!

I didn't discover this glitch on my own, but I tried it and it does work. The only thing is, you can't use Newsstand inside a folder. When you click on the Newsstand icon, the device will respring/reboot automatically. Luckily, it doesn't brick your iDevice!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.