Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toontra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
I have a Linksys wireless router with a PowerMac G5 connected by ethernet and a MacBook connected by Airport. Both comps can connect normally to the internet, but they can't connect to each other.

Personal File Sharing is switched on on both machines. The other machine's icon appears in the Finder>Network list, but when I try and connect I get an error message that the server is offline or unavailable.

I've repaired both machines with DiskWarrior, repaired permissions, tried deleting multiple preferences, etc. The weird this is that before the MacBook I was using an iBook completely successfully with the same router & setup.

This had been going on for weeks now and is driving me nuts! ANY ideas would be really gratefully received - thanks!

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
An instant solution would be to transfer the files via skype or ichat. That's what I do to send movies and such to and from my MBP and the girlfriends iBook.

Cheers, tom

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Firstly make sure that the firewall settings are automatically changing when File Sharing is enabled. Secondly, on the MacBook, go to Directory Access and wee whether the AppleTalk networking is enabled. If not, enable it and see whether it helps.

One other thing that has occurred to me. Are you sure the MacBook is connecting to your Wi-Fi network and not a neighbours?

toontra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
An instant solution would be to transfer the files via skype or ichat. That's what I do to send movies and such to and from my MBP and the girlfriends iBook.

Tom, I could do this as a last resort but then I'd need to run the length of the house between the machines to send, receive, etc.

dynamicv, yes, AppleTalk is on in the Directory Access panel (as is Bonjour, LDAPv3, SLP and SMB/CIFS). All firewalls are off (including the router) and I'm sure that my MacBook is connected to my own network.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
If you say they are both connected to the internet then you don't need to run cables. So I'm confused?

As long as you are online you can use an IM's file transfer capabilities.

Did I miss something?

toontra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
If you say they are both connected to the internet then you don't need to run cables. So I'm confused?

As long as you are online you can use an IM's file transfer capabilities.

Did I miss something?

Misunderstanding - I didn't say run cables - I said "run" (as in me running) from one place to the other. Kind of defeats the idea of networking.

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Can you get into it using the Connect to Server option in the Finder's Go menu?

First try using "afp://<G5's name>.local", then try "afp://<G5's IP address>". I'm also wondering about your Keychain. Did you use the Mac to Mac copying tool to transfer all your data off the iBook? If so, the entry for the PowerMac will now be on the MacBook and could be corrupted. Delete it and try again.

tjcampbell

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2006
Vancouver
Misunderstanding - I didn't say run cables - I said "run" (as in me running) from one place to the other. Kind of defeats the idea of networking.

HA HA HA!

Sorry. Funny stuff.

Okay.. if you send the multiple files, the program will "hang" until you accept the files so you can gingerly walk to the other room, click the buttons and get started on your work while the files fly in. Also, there's usually an "auto accept" feature. I know there is one for sure in ICQ.

This is what I do, it's easy and works for me. But that's me.

Regards, tom

toontra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
Can you get into it using the Connect to Server option in the Finder's Go menu?

First try using "afp://<G5's name>.local", then try "afp://<G5's IP address>". I'm also wondering about your Keychain. Did you use the Mac to Mac copying tool to transfer all your data off the iBook? If so, the entry for the PowerMac will now be on the MacBook and could be corrupted. Delete it and try again.

Hi dynamicv. That's really weird you mention it, but I've been getting several unusual Keychain business since I started using the MacBook, and yes, I did use the Migration Manager to import the iBook settings. Exactly what file should I try deleting?

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
Hi dynamicv. That's really weird you mention it, but I've been getting several unusual Keychain business since I started using the MacBook, and yes, I did use the Migration Manager to import the iBook settings. Exactly what file should I try deleting?
Rather than deleting the file, go into the Keychain Access tool in your Utilities folder. There will be entries for AppleShare passwords named after the G5. Delete those, then try again.

toontra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
FWIW if you are trying to use AppleTalk as the protocol between the machines, and one machine is on wireless, it will probably fail - because few wireless routers other than the Apple Airport series will actually pass Appletalk...

Yes, I was told a while ago the Appletalk wouldn't help using a 3rd party router, so I have it switched off in the Network settings on both machines (I tried turning it on but this would freeze the finder when trying to connect).

toontra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
Rather than deleting the file, go into the Keychain Access tool in your Utilities folder. There will be entries for AppleShare passwords named after the G5. Delete those, then try again.

Deleted these on both machines. No help, unfortunately.

BTW, another strange thing: I can wake the G5 from sleep using the WakeOnMac utility on the MacBook, so some communication is going on here! Also, I've tried a utility called Bonjour Browser to check my LAN, and sometims the G5 shows up and other times it doesn't!!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I'm guessing the computer connected via Airport is using NAT and the IP is in the range of 10.0.1.*

I'm also guessing the linksys is putting out 192.168.* numbers.

They both need to use the same IP range and subnet.

toontra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
I'm guessing the computer connected via Airport is using NAT and the IP is in the range of 10.0.1.*

I'm also guessing the linksys is putting out 192.168.* numbers.

They both need to use the same IP range and subnet.

You're right about the linksys 192.168.*.* numbers. How do I check the airport ones and how would I change them if needed? Cheers.

EDIT: Actually, I've just checked the TCP/IP pane of the Airport Network Pref. Pane and it gives the IP address of 192.168.*.* (within the range of the router)

toontra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
Very bizarre. What happens with iTunes sharing?

Well, I'd never used iTunes sharing before! Anyway, I've just turned it on on both machines with the following results:

The G5 shows up in the MacBook's Sharing list, but when I try and connect it stalls & gives the error: "G5 Music is not accessible for an unknown reason (-3259). Check that any firewall software running on either the shared computer or this computer has been set to allow comminication on port 2689".

On the G5 the MacBook's shares don't show at all.

thewhitehart

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2005
The town without George Bailey
I have a very similar problem. My iMac shows the iBook in its network finder window, but the iBook cannot see or connect to the iMac in its network finder window.

Resetting personal file sharing on both machines seems to help, but it's a temporary solution, as once the machines are shut off or go to sleep the problem occurs again. The firewall preferences are checked as they should be to allow traffic, so I can't pinpoint a solution.

toontra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
I have a very similar problem. My iMac shows the iBook in its network finder window, but the iBook cannot see or connect to the iMac in its network finder window.

Resetting personal file sharing on both machines seems to help, but it's a temporary solution, as once the machines are shut off or go to sleep the problem occurs again. The firewall preferences are checked as they should be to allow traffic, so I can't pinpoint a solution.

I've tried resetting the file sharing on both machines several times to try and flush out any damaged preferences but no success.

BTW, I've also just reset the router to factory defaults - again no luck.

toontra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
Well, as the MacBooks only 5 weeks old, I though I may as well try Apple 90-day support (first time for me after 8 Macs!).

Spent an hour with a guy in an Indian call centre, who didn't know any more than me. He then passed me to a support manager in France who spent another 2 hours going through every setting, deleting prefs, trying to connect via ethernet (which we couldn't, BTW).

In the end he could only suggest re-installing the OS - as I'd always known this may be the only answer I bit the bullet, cloned the MB's drive and did a fresh install and.... guess what - still can't connect!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.