Can't open 2nd optical drive bay in Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Luis Ortega, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I have a Bootcamp Windows 7 setup on a separate hard drive on my Mac Pro and I can't get the lower cd tray door to open.
    When on OSX (10.6.8), I use the keyboard eject key to open the top cd drive door and alt+eject to open the lower cd drive door, but when in Windows, I can't find any keyboard options to make the second tray open. The top drive door opens as expected.
    Is there a way to do this, or is it not possible to open the bottom cd drive door?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

You should be able to open File Explorer, find your second optical drive in the list under Computers, right-click on it and select "Eject".

3. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you, but this doesn't work as there is no second optical drive listed while I am in windows.
    Both drives work fine in OSX, but the second drive is not showing up when in windows.
    I am on windows 7 and the second optical drive is a bluray burner that is connected using a spare sata port on the mac pro motherboard. It is not connected by ide. The first drive is the original dvd burner that came in the mac pro

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

That is strange ... I am running bootable Windows 8 on a separate SSD in a Mac Pro 5,1 with a BluRay Burner in the second optical bay and both optical drives show up in the Windows file explorer and can be opened by a right-click on the drive and selecting Eject from the menu. In my Mac Pro, both optical drives are natively SATA.

Since your primary optical drive is IDE, I'm guessing that your Mac Pro is a 3,1 (2008) or older. When I had a 2008, I routed the 2 motherboard SATA ports up into the optical bay for SSD drives, and as I recall those SATA ports couldn't be used for Windows disk drives, so it is possible that optical drives won't work either. There are IDE <==> SATA converters on the market, but I don't know if they will work in your situation. I recall some posts here awhile back about using these converters, but I don't recall the outcome. You might find the thread by searching in the Mac Pro forum.

Good luck.... :)

-howard