Can't open a specific folder without mac freezing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by antonea, Jun 5, 2010.

1. antonea macrumors newbie

I have a brand new macbook pro that I bought about 4 months ago. I am running snow leopard and out of the blue one day my computer gave me the spinning wheel and it went on for so long I had to power off my notebook by holding down the power. When I turned it back on I was stuck on the apple screen and I couldn't get passed it. So, I did a clean install and just moved all of my personal files and folders that my computer backed up to their original location.

After doing all of this and being up and running again I noticed when I try to access a personal folder on my system that contains images (jpegs, pngs) and some videos and psd files that my computer starts freezing up again and spinning and I have to power it off to get it to stop. I have resorted my permissions and ran Onyx once a week since this has happened and the folder is still giving me issues. I need to access this folder asap.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this problem?

2. akramer macrumors member

It's hard to tell without more information, but that sounds like it might be a failing hard drive.

Do you see any disk errors in /var/log/kernel.log?

3. megamanbnmaster macrumors 6502

Back up your drive and make an appointment w/ Apple. The hard drive is failing for sure. I've had the same problem 3 weeks ago and i lost 1.1TB of stuff (stupid me didn't make a time machine backup but at least the most important files were in my drop box.)

4. antonea thread starter macrumors newbie

failing!!! that is crazy! it is brand new! I didn't think it would be something this serious. I thought it would be something easy that I could just find a fix for over the internet. Thanks for that! I will back everything up onto an external and take it in.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I suspect that you have a video that the decoder is choking on (when creating the thumbnail). Are you familiar enough with Terminal to be able to move the video files out to a different folder?

6. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

... take it to Apple... then, before the first year is up, buy Apple Care. Then, right before your three years are up, sell it and buy another one. Repeat until you die. :p

7. antonea thread starter macrumors newbie

I am somewhat familiar with terminal. If I know what to enter I can do it. How can I figure out what file is corrupted? I'm also assuming that after powering off my machine and being stuck on the apple screen the first time that maybe this corrupted a file as it was the last folder I was in when my computer went crazy.

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I missed the part about freezing on the Apple screen, that does indicate a more serious problem (I was wondering why people were leaping straight to the "failing hard drive" conclusion!)

I'm not really sure what else to suggest.