Can't open any websites

Discussion in 'macOS' started by InspectorShells, Aug 19, 2013.

1. InspectorShells macrumors newbie

This is really confusing:

Starting on Friday night, my computer started giving me error messages on most all websites. "Couldn't connect to the server..." Oddly enough, my email would work, Netflix would work, Google search would work, but if I clicked on a search result, nothing. If I searched on Netflix, nothing.

Now I'm on a different network and nothing opens. My Network settings, at one point, claimed it had a "self-appointed IP address and couldn't connect." I tried manually entering the settings and the AirPort claimed to be connected, but still no luck on the browser.

I've tried ethernet and still nothing. I've tried multiple browsers and multiple resets.

Any ideas? This thing is killing me, mentally and financially.

Thanks.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

3. InspectorShells thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried an SMC reset, but I didn't consider repairing the disl. This computer has had a lot of issues, in that regard, and, sure enough, the disk needs to be repaired. I'll try it when I get home and hopefully that does the trick.

Thanks.

4. InspectorShells thread starter macrumors newbie

So I did a disk repair and a disk permissions repair, and neither one did it. Now I'm connected to the internet, but it's telling me the IP address is 10.0.0.4 and I still can't open most websites.

Same as before: Google search works, but I can't click on the results. Baffling.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

If you've also re-set the router / modem back to factory defaults too, then maybe a non destructive re-install of OSX might help....It's possible that the wifi card might be faulty too...can you run the AHT ( Apple Hardware Test's)

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

6. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

7. InspectorShells thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, so it turned out that restoring my system from a Time Machine Backup did the trick. It was sort of a last ditch effort and the backup was made at a time when the internet had already stopped working, but miraculously it worked.

Thanks for the advice!