Can't open App Store, messages and other apple made apps

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by aaronlathrop, Nov 5, 2014.

1. aaronlathrop macrumors newbie

Not sure what's going on, Whenever I click on the apps the icon bounces once then stops without opening. Happens with the App Store, Messages, FaceTime, Reminders. Mail opens and loads just fine but I can't read any of the messages. When I click on one nothing is displayed but a no message selected message. I don't have access to my original system discs right now or I would try reloading the OS.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated, I can't keep checking my email on my phone.

Running a 2008 15" MBP system 10.9.5 8 gigs RAM.

2. sharon22 macrumors regular

Maybe a "permissions" issue.
    (But, it won't be..... there are over 6 billion people on Planet Earth, and I don't think ONE of them has fixed anything by Repairing Permissions LOL).

Here's what I would do, if I were in your sandals:

Go into System Preferences, and create a NEW USER ACCOUNT, and give it Administrative (FULL) privileges.

Log yourself out.

Log yourself back in, but as the NEW USER you just created a moment ago.

Now, see if you get those weird behaviors. (You won't).

Okay, so now it's time to do detective work.

Launch Console, and watch what the console says when you are in your NEW USER mode. Read it line by line. Spend about 5 minutes launching your Problem App, and watch the console. Close the App, then relaunch it. Watch, watch, and watch the cosole. Memorize what it says.

Now, LOG OUT, and log back into your Original account.

Fire up Console.

Launch your problem App.

If you were paying attention, you'll notice that the Console is saying different stuff (e.g. Error this, error that, etc.), and those will be your clues what the problem is.

Hope that helps.

Teach a man to fish...