Can't open cd's/discs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mikali103, Sep 1, 2008.

1. mikali103 macrumors newbie

Hello there.
    I am having trouble opening any type of discs that i install into my imac.My computer doesn't even seem to accept them.......it just spits them right back out.
    Any help would be appreciated...THNX

2. hughvane macrumors 6502

hughvane

Quick Qns - what iMac model, and what condition are the disks in (any scratches or finger marks)?

What you report reads like a hardware problem, maybe dust on the lens inside the optical drive. Quick fixes are blow compressed air into the drive slot, and use a lens cleaning disk.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Not an uncommon situation with Mac optical drives unfortunately- particularly with commercial disks! :(

If your machine is still under warranty (or an AppleCare extended warranty), if possible make an appointment at the Genius Bar and take your machine in to an Apple retail store with a small selection of disks that it rejects to demonstrate the problem. It is usually a simple matter of them replacing the drive mechanism itself. I have had to do this with 3 client machines and they were very good about replacing them without question. None of the three have reported problems after the replacement so far (the oldest replacement being about 20 months old now).