Can't open Excel files from iDisk, weird. Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Radioman, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Radioman macrumors regular

My MBP blew up so am on a temporary Blackbook and luckily all my important day to day docs are on my iDisk, no problem I thought... But something really odd is happening, when I try to open a spreadsheet with Excel (tried 04 and 08) it says "the file may be read only or you may be trying to access a read only location or the server the document on may not be responding".

I can open the file with open office and ALL other file types open fine from iDisk (including Word and PPT).

At the moment I am having to drag the files to my desktop edit them and drag them back to iDisk so all is up to date when I get my computer back.

Has anyone had anything similar? Any tips gratefully received (apart from the obvious; ditch MS Office!).

After first noticing the problem I set iDisk to keep a local copy on the temp machine but this made no difference.

2. Radioman thread starter macrumors regular

3. timowen001 macrumors newbie

Office Docs & iDisk read only

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue. I don't suppose you found a fix for it?

Tim

4. lssmit02 macrumors 6502

It worked for me - both xls and xlsx files opened and are editable. They're not complicated documents (grading sheets, with simple formulas).

EDIT: To further outline my setup, iDisk is not set to synchronize. I'm happy to experiment, to see if I can recreate the problem and help, but at the moment, it is working for me.

5. MuLTI macrumors newbie

I have the same problem. Did anyone solved it?