can't open external hard drive on windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by dancks, Feb 10, 2011.

1. dancks macrumors member

dancks

perhaps I should be asking this in a windows help forum, but as you can guess I partitioned and installed windows 7, but for some reason I can't get the external hard drive to open, or even show in under "computer". As an unrelated note I also don't have drive E:/ installed if that matters. Now I believe I installed all the proper drivers as I ran the setup application on the mac install disk so I don't know what to do exactly.

It does however list it on the removable hardware icon on that list on the finder at the bottom right of the screen.

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

That is quite unusual, especially with a lack of E: drive. That should be there for your Mac OS X partition. I assume you've updated to latest version of Boot Camp version 3.2?

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I've seen many occasions when a drive letter doesn't get assigned if it's already taken, i.e. the external drive wants e: but it is already taken.

Can you see what everything looks like "Disk Management"? You can (re)assign drive letters there if needed.

Post screenshots if you want anyone to be able to help.

B

4. dancks thread starter macrumors member

dancks