Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jingus22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 25, 2014
I am trying to get a movie off of a DVD using Handbrake. If I just download as default settings, the movie turns out interlaced badly, which is not how it looks on the DVD. But if I use the deinterlace settings on handbrake before downloading, the .mp4 file cant be opened by quicktime or imovie, which is where it needs to go. Any help on this?

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I am trying to get a movie off of a DVD using Handbrake. If I just download as default settings, the movie turns out interlaced badly, which is not how it looks on the DVD. But if I use the deinterlace settings on handbrake before downloading, the .mp4 file cant be opened by quicktime or imovie, which is where it needs to go. Any help on this?

I'm not near my Mac at the moment, so I don't have access to my HandBrake settings, but are you using the variable comb-filter setting? I had horizontal interlacing artifacts on my MP4 files from ripped DVDs, so I enabled the variable comb filter as per a suggestion I found on the Internet, and that's produced clean, playable MP4 files ever since. I'll check my settings when I get home.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.