Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ferdi2005

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
Hi, I can't open files or folders with Siri, because every time I try it says "The application SiriNCService does not have permission to open FILENAME". I tried reparing permissions with diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u` but nothing changed. Any ideas? I have Catalina 10.15.2.

Thanks in advance for your help.

duanepatrick

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Hi Ferdi2005 , have you tried this before doing the terminal command?
1577062412699.png

billy_boy

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2019
I have the same issue after updating to Catalina. I have performed the "Apply to enclosed items..." steps as well as using Terminal to reset permissions and restarted my iMac. So far, no change. Does anyone know if Apple is aware of this issue and working towards a solution?

Cyrus Dubash

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2020
Hi, I can't open files or folders with Siri, because every time I try it says "The application SiriNCService does not have permission to open FILENAME". I tried reparing permissions with diskutil resetUserPermissions / `id -u` but nothing changed. Any ideas? I have Catalina 10.15.2.

Hi today after months Apple customer care finally Solved this for me. All the permission resets and never worked. But this worked fine !

Apple is looking into this and will come up with a proper update and resolve the problem but there is a workaround.

Basically the Siri application needs full disk access which you can give it. On the way to do it is as explained below.

Open your system preferences and go to security and privacy and then go to the privacy tab and scroll down to full disk access and unlock with your password if it is locked click the plus sign in full disk access to add another application in here. Open your system preferences and go to security and privacy and then go to the privacy tab and scroll down to full disk access and unlock with your password if it is locked click the plus sign in FULL DISK ACCESS to add another application in here.

Double-click the Macintosh HD Drive.
Go to the system folder then Library and then go to “coreservices folder” and look for the Siri.app file in here and add it in. Lock it up and your problem is resolved.

Cheers. Have Fun ! ?

Cesar Battistini

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2017
Brazil
Hi today after months Apple customer care finally Solved this for me. All the permission resets and never worked. But this worked fine !

Apple is looking into this and will come up with a proper update and resolve the problem but there is a workaround.

Basically the Siri application needs full disk access which you can give it. On the way to do it is as explained below.

Open your system preferences and go to security and privacy and then go to the privacy tab and scroll down to full disk access and unlock with your password if it is locked click the plus sign in full disk access to add another application in here. Open your system preferences and go to security and privacy and then go to the privacy tab and scroll down to full disk access and unlock with your password if it is locked click the plus sign in FULL DISK ACCESS to add another application in here.

Double-click the Macintosh HD Drive.
Go to the system folder then Library and then go to “coreservices folder” and look for the Siri.app file in here and add it in. Lock it up and your problem is resolved.

Cheers. Have Fun ! ?

Thank you so much!!!! Hours trying to solve this!

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
How can Apple not have fixed this by default over a year later? This is probably the most useful Siri feature on a Mac, yet even fresh installs of Big Sur have this issue right out of the box.

The solution mentioned above does work, but seems like a workaround to what should function correctly from the start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.