Can't open iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nive0us, Jun 13, 2012.

1. nive0us macrumors newbie

nive0us

I installed iPhoto '09 from a disc to my MBA running Lion.

When I click the icon at the dock it says I need to update it to the latest version before I can open it, and then when it searches there's no new update..

What's going on?

2. pdjudd macrumors 601

How was in on the disc? What installation method did you use? How was this purchased?

3. nive0us thread starter macrumors newbie

nive0us

Purchased on an apple premium reseller store, installed through CD/DVD-sharing on an iMac.
    It worked last year with Snow Leopard, and still when it was upgraded to Lion. I restored my computer to default settings yesterday, installed iLife again but now I can't open iPhoto.
    GarageBand and iMovie works fine.

4. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

try and search for the latest update, then download that version. I had this same problem with iPhoto '11, but it actually found an update

5. pdjudd macrumors 601

OK, it sounds like you installed it with iLife from a DVD - I wasn't 100% sure. Sounds like you will just have to get the update from Apple manually since software update isn't providing it - probably because it only fetches the most current versions of iLife.

I thought for some reason that it was just the iphoto.app that you moved over form a previous install since you didn't mention iLife at all.

6. nive0us thread starter macrumors newbie

nive0us

What do you mean?

The thing is that the computer tells me to do two totally different things.

"Before you open iPhoto you must upgrade to the latest version.
    Install it now by using Software updating."

And then:

"The software doesn't need to get updated.
    There are no software updates for the computer right now."

----------

Sorry for being unclear. So basically I need to buy it again? From the App Store this time I think..
    But it's just so strange since GarageBand and iMovie works, I'm glad they do though.

7. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

the latest version of iPhoto 09 is version 8.1.3... google for that update and download it, then see if it works

8. nive0us thread starter macrumors newbie

nive0us

I did only find the 8.1.2, tried to install it and it said "A newer version is already installed"..

9. pdjudd macrumors 601

No, that's not what I was saying. I thought you had just dragged the app from a prior install and you did not use the installer as part of iLife. As you did not do that, my assumption was moot. I was saying that you need to get the latest update from apple since iPhoto might be expecting a specific version (the library perhaps) and software update just isn't fetching it since you are not on the latest iPhoto 11. Just look for the latest upgrade for iPhoto '09 from apple.com. You in no way have to purchase anything unless you want to.

That's because you had a newer version installed at some point, you need 8.1.3 as indicated. should work after that.

10. nive0us thread starter macrumors newbie

nive0us

This one?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1035

Downloaded and installed but yet again it says it's already installed.

11. pdjudd macrumors 601

12. nive0us thread starter macrumors newbie

nive0us

It says 8.0.4?
    It didn't work either.

13. pdjudd macrumors 601

Sorry, I was mistaken, the latest version is indeed 8.1.2 here: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL970

Are you sure you are running version 8? What does OSX report the version as?

14. nive0us thread starter macrumors newbie

nive0us

Well, I guess so since it said that I already run a "newer" version when I installed 8.1.2, which probably means that I already have 8.1.2 installed? I don't know.
    And also I don't know how to check which version I have since I can't even open the program.

----------

It says "Version: 9.0" when I right click the icon in the program folder, though?
    Trying to install 9.3 right now..

15. pdjudd macrumors 601

That's what I wanted. All of us were assuming an older version of iLife was installed. 9.3 should do it if that is the latest one (it might). Your version is not the '09 version - its 9.0 Different things.

16. nive0us thread starter macrumors newbie

nive0us

Too bad I didn't realize that until now! I just have to download 9.1 now and then it should probably work again. Anyway, thanks for the help!

17. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Ah, I see! You have iPhoto '11... version 9! I had this same problem, but Software update found the update for me...

18. pdjudd macrumors 601

I can tell you it caused a few head scratches for me - I should have asked specifically what the Disc that you had - the newest ones just have iLife. Once they moved to the app store, recovering the latest versions comes down to just a re-download.

Good to see that you are back up.

19. MissyTX macrumors newbie

I am having the same exact problem. How did you resolve it?

I just upgraded to Lion and because my iPhoto was not supported I had to pull out the ILife11 disc that came with my computer and install it. After I installed it it told me it would not open because I needed an update. When I check for updates it says everything is up to date. Went to Apple's site an downloaded 9.3 and I am still getting the same message. I even tried to buy iPhoto from the app store and it tells me I can't because I already have that version. I can't seem to find it if I have it. Help.