Can't open iWeb anymore...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slipper, Sep 16, 2010.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

Whats up folks. So i tried opening an HTML document by right clicking on it and selecting iWeb. I got a message saying "iWeb cant open file ~/Desktop/....." Dont ask me why i did this, i should know better :D Anyway, now when i try to open iWeb i get the same error message even after restarting the computer and updating iWeb. Anyone know whats up?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Slight guess would be it's attempting to reopen what it last had opened, which unfortunately was something it couldn't handle. You can check the iWeb plist file to see if there's anything in there that you can edit (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iWeb.plist). You could also try deleting this file, but you'll lose your current settings in iWeb.

You might want to try something simpler like logging out or rebooting first.

3. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

I already rebooted and updated.

What exactly do you mean by checking the iweb plist

Thanks

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

As in seeing if there's any references to the HTML you tried to open.

5. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

I just thought of an idea... i'll try restoring iWeb from my Time Machine backup. Can you give me an idea on how to go about this?

6. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

7. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

Deleted the plist. Everything seems to be fine. But just curious, what settings were deleted? And what is a plist?

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

plist = preference list

It holds anything you set from the preferences of the application. You can open the file in a text editor as it's just a XML file and look through some of the tag names to get an idea of what it has. Sometimes it holds a little more because Apple doesn't always create a graphical interface for every option.