Cant Open Old Time Machine Back ups?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by harleymhs, Nov 18, 2015.

1. harleymhs macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I did something stupid. I had a good Time Machine back up and and I did a clean install of Yosemite, plugged my TM drive in and it starting backing up the new OSX.. Bad Move ! Now I can see the older time machine dates but it wont let me restore from it.. Is there a way to access them again ? Thanks!

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Turn off your Mac, ensure your TM volume is plugged in. Hold 'Alt' on startup, and boot into your Time Machine backup volume by selecting it with the arrow keys and hitting Enter, or clicking the volume.

Once it's booted into OS X Utilities, click 'Restore from Time Machine', and it will show you a list of available dates. If memory serves there's a checkbox for show older ones. Then restore the date of your discretion.

If this doesn't work, you can also do this by holding Cmd+R on startup, and restoring from Time Machine backup in OS X Utilities.

Hope this helps.

3. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

4. harleymhs thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks! I wanted to grab apps & files from the old time machine back ups not do a complete restore from it. When I plug in the TM drive I see the old dates but can't open them!

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Ohhh okay, I see.

Have you tried using Migration Assistant to chuck over apps or data? Just search for Migration Assistant in Spotlight or go to Finder>Applications>Utilities.

Any luck? :)