Can't open old transferred files on new Mac! please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hexus33, Oct 27, 2008.

1. hexus33 macrumors newbie

I just transferred (seemingly successfully) the files and folders from my old iBook G4 to a brand spankin new iMac. I didn't transfer at first when I first started up the computer, but rather used Migration Assistant.

I went through all the pre-transfer options with no problem, and waited almost two hours for the transfer to complete, saw the "Done" window and quit the program. I went into the new mac's HD and into the Users folder, where I saw a folder with all my old stuff in it, but when I tried to open, say, the documents or music folder, a window popped up that read:

"The folder "Documents" could not be opened because you do not have sufficient access privileges."

Now I'm no mac genius but I've had one for five years so I'm no dummy, but I can't figure this out! I don't know if it has anything to do with passwords or settings... If anyone can help it would be very appreciated!!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Click on the Old Folder (the one that you transferred from the iBook to the iMac), Get Info (Command + I), look under Sharing and Permissions and see what users are listed. Maybe you have to add your iMac user to read and write to this folder.

3. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

^^^Right click>Get Info>Owner and Permissions>Details. Click the lock to unlock it, select your user name/log in/owner, and select Read And Write next to 'Access'. It will probably ask you for your password. You're good to go once you've done this.