Can't open older files (.jpeg .pdf) from old Power PC mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mark00thomas, Mar 13, 2013.

1. mark00thomas macrumors newbie

I have a new mac that can open .jpeg and .pdf files, but i can't open files from my wife's old computer which migration assistant has moved probably four times now from mac to mac. They originally come from a power PC mac which can even open them. I installed a data recovery app on it and pulled them off fresh and still can't open them. Here are two examples. I had to compress the .jpeg because the site says it is not a valid .jpg file.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Mark

Attached Files:

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I downloaded the first (Small) file on my 2012 Mini and also transferred it to my Powerbook on 10.5.8, in both instances it is not able to open the file, on the Mini I tried with both Preview and acrobat.
    See screenshots below, they are probably corrupt.

Attached Files:

3. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

I was able to open and view the jpg file using Graphic Converter. GC says it is a JFIF file. Two guys sitting next to each other.

Unable to open pdf. Threw everything I have at it. Same error message as justperry.

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Yup, tried with GC and it opens, but it's tiny (at 100%) sure something is wrong with that file, it's 1.3 MB and quality is horrible.(For it's size)

5. Knoodles, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  6. ratsg macrumors 6502

I opened the PDF file just fine using evince on Solaris.

The JPG file inside of the zip was corrupted for me.

7. mark00thomas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys

Thanks, I'll use Graphics Converter on the images. This problem is consistant with all the files .DOC, .rtf, etc. I was hoping you guys would have a sliver bullet for me.

Thanks again for the efforts!