Can't open PDF files on new macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kingbinji, Dec 2, 2008.

1. kingbinji macrumors newbie

hey guys, i literally got my macbook a few hours ago and i've been trying to get some studying done on it but i can't seem to open pdf files. i read somewhere that preview should do the trick but i keep getting this message

"The document “IMMUNO 2008 CHAPTER 6 PART III.ppt” could not be opened. The file is not in the right format."

i even downloaded adobe reader and i still get the same message. the same exact files work on my old laptop that runs xp. i have no idea what to do at this point. please help!

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

That's no PDF. That's a PowerPoint file.

Options include: Buying Office, downloading Neo Office, converting it here...

3. kingbinji thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, i feel really dumb....haha...i have no idea why i was under the impression that these ppts that ive been viewing all semester long were pdfs. thanks!

4. rtpub macrumors member

rtpub

May also try OpenOffice as well :D

5. Fuzzbear macrumors regular

Fuzzbear

haha thanks for the laugh!

6. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Don't feel dumb. :) Sometimes people do save ppt slides in pdf, so you may have gotten some of those along the way. I do that sometimes, to send people slides they otherwise wouldn't be able to open, or to make sure that I can use my slides in a presentation, when I can't have it tested out ahead of time on the machine I have to use.

That would've confused you a bit as to the format.

7. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

You could view/edit your PPT in google docs if you don't have iWork installed. Does the new macbook not come with a trial of iWork?