Can't open pictures in iphoto anymore, Help.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chrisfx811, Feb 20, 2008.

1. chrisfx811 macrumors regular

I screwed something up, and was wondering if anyone knows how I might be able to fix my problem.

1. I wrongfully deleted things in the iphoto library folder in my 'pictures' icon.
    I thought I was saving disk space by deleting things I didn't need.

2. Now I can only open my pics in 'Preview', and when I try to open them with iphoto, I get a 'unreadable files' message.

Did I screw things up beyond repair in regards to being able to edit my pics in iphoto?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. skybolt macrumors 6502a

You might try this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107947

But you have learned a valuable lesson. Stay out of the iPhoto library in finder! You need everything that is in there! If you want to save space, delete photos that you don't want to keep by doing so from within the iPhoto app itself. Users are not meant to muck about in that folder in finder. Havoc will ensue, as you have found out.

As far as the rebuild, if the first, easier, option does not work, try the manual rebuild (further down the referenced document). It warns you that you may get duplicates, and it means it! I got, in some cases, quadruplicates of some of my photos, but at least I got them back! Worth it to me to manually go through and clean up the mess I created.

Good luck!