Can't open preferences in iCal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Atrog, May 18, 2011.

1. Atrog macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    Forum newbie here, so hi!

The problem I'm having is that iCal will open, but I can't open iCal preferences, or create any new events. Basically it will open but won't actually let me do anything.

I googled my problem and found a few suggestions.
    First I tried deleting the com.apple.iCal files from the ~library/preferences folder. Nothing.

Next, I tried to uninstall and then re-install using the osx disc, but unfortunately no luck.

Then, I tried using the program Pacifist to re-install iCal, but still nothing.

I usually have iCal synced with my google calendar and I seriously use it everyday so this is driving me crazy. :confused:

Also, unfortunately in a moment of bad judgement I deleted all of my back ups off my external hard drive to free up space. I thought I left the most recent one, but apparently not...so using time machine to do a restore isn't an option.

Does anyone have any other advice?

Please and thank you. :)

2. Atrog thread starter macrumors newbie

Problem solved! Hopefully it will help if someone else has the same problem.

Thanks to more googling I found a thread on the apple forums. I had tried deleting the ~library/preferences folders, but had not deleted all of the cache files from the ~library/calendars folder.

3. davidkrocks macrumors newbie

hey, You helped me solve the same problem! Thank you for posing the answer afterwards!:eek::cool: