Can't open quicktime player.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by failmacuser, Jul 24, 2009.

1. failmacuser macrumors newbie

I can't open quicktime player. I just downloaded the newest free version from the apple site. When I click open it says "could not open because the specified format is not supported" I think that is a problem with what opens it? Everything is set to open with Textedit, I don't remember how or why. How can I get quicktime to open? Please help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Which OS do you have?
    You can find out by going to :apple: > About This Mac.
    [​IMG]
    it's a screenshot of an older version, so no worries.

Those are the requirements for the latest QuickTime:

Leopard System Requirements:
    Mac OS X v10.5

Tiger System Requirements:
    Mac OS X v10.4.10 or later
    400 MHz G3 processor or faster
    At least 256 MB of RAM

Also what kind of file are you trying to open? .avi, .mov, .mp4, .mkv, ....?

To change what document/file type is opened with what application, go to one of those files you want to open with something else than Text Edit, right click on it and choose Get Info (or just use CMD+I if you selected the file).
    There is a pane called "Open With", where you can choose the program and even select "Change All" to apply it to all the files with that specific extension.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    from http://www.askdavetaylor.com/how_do_i_change_file_icons_and_the_default_application_on_my_mac.html

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What are you trying to open that opens with TextEdit?

The dmg? Installer? A movie?

4. failmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Mac OS X
    Version 10.4.11

Processer: 1.83 GHz Intel Core 2Duo

Memory: 1.5 GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM (ram upgraded from 512)

Startup Disk Macintosh HD

That's what I have. I don't know if it's leopard or tiger?

And I am trying to open the DMG.

There is nothing else it will let me open it with. Everything got wiped a while back all I have is Itunes and FireFox, and my personal downloaded things like instant messenger and what not. All my files in the HD are empty.

5. macintoshtoffy macrumors 6502a

macintoshtoffy

If you're upgrading Quicktime - why don't you use the 'Software Update' from the Apple menu?

6. failmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

There is nothing to upgrade. All my programs are gone im trying to get quicktime player back so I can start getting others that require QT.

Oh wait it's showing a quicktime update. its downloading now ill see what happens.

7. macintoshtoffy macrumors 6502a

macintoshtoffy

How can all your applications 'go'? how are they 'gone'?

You said you downloaded Quicktime - if you have downloaded quicktime then obviously you've seen the need to update.

Why have you deleted all your applications? you're better off backing up your user directory and do a re-install if you've butchered your installation up this much.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If everything is gone, I'd recommend an Archive and Install rather than trying to reinstall everything.

9. failmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

Whats an Archive? Im not the brightest when it comes to computer terms.

BTW do you guys know if there is a way to download imovie free anywhere? It doesn't need to be the newest or best just able to edit small little clips.

10. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

11. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I'm not sure if I follow your thoughts correctly, but are you telling us, that all your "stuff" is gone/has been wiped?
    So there are no applications left in Macintosh HD > Applications or libraries and application support data in Macintosh HD > Library, or all your personal stuff in Macintosh HD > Users > You?

Why don't you just re-install then, instead of fixing it by searching for every application on the net?

10.4.x is Tiger and Leopard is 10.5.x.

12. macintoshtoffy macrumors 6502a

macintoshtoffy

You can't download it because it is part of iLife.

If you have a MacBook it should be part of the restoration media included with it.

13. failmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have any of the things that came with the computer to just reinstall it all. I just got this as my first laptop a few years ago and I mainly just wanted it for games and internet, but now I am starting to need other things.

14. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

However you got it, you can obtain the installation DVDs via Apple for around 30 US$ if you prove to them it's your machine.

But why would you not have your DVDs anymore? I still have mine for my iBook and I'm a big mess all the way up to the roof, when it comes to stuff.

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Always keep the restore discs that come with the machine, you never know when you might need them, and if you sell the machine - you'll need to give them to the buyer.

16. failmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

My aunt got me this laptop 2-3 years ago as a gift, I was young and didn't know i should keep all that type stuff

17. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

So you just deleted everything else because you didn't use it and didn't know what it did.

Nice.

You'll need the disks that came with your model. Go to an Apple Store for those.

When/if you fix this, just leave everything alone.

18. failmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

No I didn't delete anything. It crashed maybe a year and a half ago, we took it to the mac store, it was a crazy price to fully restore it or w/e, so we just said "just get it running again" because all i was using it for was games and we didnt want to spend the extra money restoring everything if im not going to use it.

They said it had a faulty hard drive that fried.

19. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I refuse to believe that an Apple Store employee just deleted applications until it "worked" again. You can understand my skepticism.

20. macintoshtoffy macrumors 6502a

macintoshtoffy

Why not run the restoration cd? it comes with the machine - restore the application then run the Software Update and you'll have the lastest version of everything for your system. Its not a difficult task to do.

21. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Apparently, those ended up in the trash.

22. failmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

No it was dead crashed, wouldnt turn on even. and they asked if we wanted to pay the 11hundred to have it fully restored, we asked if there was anything cheaper and we got some kind of deal to just replace the hard drive and not restore everything

23. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

There is something you are not telling us, or not remembering right.

$1100 to restore, but opting for a HD replacement fixes it too? That's not how it works.

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Exactly. A hard drive replacement would have been either empty (useless, and they don't do that) or restored with all the software back on. Since then, the applications have been deleted. How?

25. failmacuser thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't know I was like 13 when this happened. All i remember is it was going to cost 11hundred to "fully restore" it and we didn't want to pay that much for a little kids gaming computer so we got some sort of deal or w/e to just get a new blank hard drive put in. When it crashed it was just a bad hard drive it had in it.

This isnt helping at all btw, yes it's my fault for tossing the disks but i came here asking for help.