Can't open site in Dreamweaver to Learn.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Dal123, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Dal123 macrumors 6502a

Dal123

My site has been registered on google and it now shows up when I search for my Company Precise Formwork Limited.
    However when searching for a keyword google search Formwork I am not even listed on the whole of Google :(. I made sure I have Formwork written in my pages, and I tried to really work it on the SEO.

So I thought I would look at number 1 google ranked site under Formwork and it is this one: http://www.byrne-bros.co.uk/p/h/Home//21/ but I cannot look at it in Dreamweaver, it says that the file cannot be found, despite me clicking on it. I'm guessing this is a really clever developer that able to not let me check it out, it is not locked :confused:.

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Not saying you are not smart. I am sure you are smart in your field. However, you need to do a lot more research.

Your headings are still wrong. Underline text are usually links for web pages.

Are you sure you even researched SEO? Repeating the word 100 times isn't SEO.

Hint: if you have multiple domains with identical content, one of the sites will be penalized.

Your .com is broken at this time
    Error: Could not open a connection to the database

Hire a real photographer for at least a few of the photos.

I am guessing the product is at least 5 figures, and you can't afford a few thousand on a decent web site?

There are broken links on the site. You need a real designer.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

SEO results take time. It's also much harder to get high page rank for a single word vs a group of words. You can't expect a new site to be anywhere near the top of the search rankings. It'll take more time and increased popularity for your site and especially link in from others.

I was able to see the source code fine for the site you linked so not sure why DW is having issues. That sites does do some stupid things with their URL though.

4. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Cheers angelwatt, it's strange that you can open it and I can't. I am using MX 2004 version so maybe something:confused:.
    Consultant I have researched SEO a little. I will have to remove the .com link thanks for noticing that. I'm not rich yet, so I can't afford a designer or photographer. I've been doing the work for other firms and it's time for me to go for it with my own company.
    I'm a bit gutted with the .com I bought .co.uk and .com I think the .com was about £70 to register the domain. I did not choose to host the same content on the .com for the reason you said and have simply forgot to remove this link. It's a shame as I wanted two identical sites but like you say will be penalised with it so have to do without.
    Where are the broken links? I have performed a site map and it said a few broken links but not where. Yet had a look in Dreamweaver it looks ok, so I'm presuming (and hoping) you're referring to the .com link if so this is very easily resolvable.
    It's going to take a few years to get going but there will be serious money when it does. At the moment I need to save my money in preparation for large projects.:)
    Your input is appreciated :)

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I was just viewing source from Firefox. I don't have Dreamweaver.

6. nuxx macrumors member

nuxx

Not sure how you're trying to view a remote site that belongs to a third party in Dreamweaver. You'd need to have a local copy of the entire site to do this or else you'll get file not found errors.

Blue Crab can create a local copy of an entire site. Not sure how kosher this is or even if the local copy will be viewable without errors in Dreamweaver as I've never tried it.

An alternative, if you're using Firefox, would be to install the Web Developer or Firebug extensions and view the site using one of these.

7. Dal123 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dal123

Thanks, what I usually do is save the entire site then view it in Dreamweaver. I've had a look in the Developer Toolbar, Thanks buddy :). It's pretty complex transitional xhtml and I don't understand it lol :p.