Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lcousins

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2015
So, I have a 3rd gen, rev. A, Apple TV and I've been trying to use peer-to-peer AirPlay to stream movies and music from iTunes on my rMBP (running 10.10.2) to my Apple TV, but iTunes won't give me the option to connect to it.

The weird part is that my MacBook detects the Apple TV and displays an option to use AirPlay display in the menu bar, but iTunes won't recognize it. Also, the reason I'm trying to use the peer-to-peer method is because I'm on a university network that isolates all hosts so they can't interact.

Is this a known bug or am I doing something wrong here? Has anyone had issues with this and been able to resolve it?

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Hmm, my guess is that it's also related to your specific network situation. I just tried at home…. started a movie playing fullscreen in iTunes on my MBA, then selected one of my AppleTVs from the dropdown Airplay menu on the menu bar.

There was a pause of a couple seconds, then the movie continued on the AppleTV in full screen mode. I have an Airport Time Capsule as a router and the MBA is on wifi. The AppleTV is hardwired with ethernet.

Caveat: I am still running 10.8 and iTunes 11 on my MBA, so maybe this doesn't work properly with newer versions? Have also seen various threads about how Airplay was broken by AppleTV updates but I haven't had any problems.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.