Can't pair bluetooth keyboard (following latest security update?)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carl201167, Apr 20, 2007.

1. carl201167 macrumors regular

I have a mac mini and apple bluetooth keyboard. I just installed the recommended Security Update 2007-004 and upon reboot cannot pair the keyboard :eek:

I've never had this problem before and have put new batteries in just in case. I've re-booted and ensured no other competing bluetooth devices are nearby

What can I do in this situation?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

I'll check, but I don't think that the security update and you bt problem are related. try completely deleting your keyboard in bluetooth prefs and pairing again.

4. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

You could always try and repair disk permissions (although I'm not sure if that'll fix it) but it seems to always help when I have a problem with my system.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I have tried repairing permissions, resetting the PMU, and multiple restarts. I'm also unable to pair either a new Alum BT Keyboard or the previous White/Plastic Apple BT keyboard. Any other thoughts?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

7. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

Using "Browse Device" menu can you detect anything?? like a cell phone or something?

8. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Mac Mini 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo. I upgraded the ram myself with 2x 2GB and I'm a little loathe to pull them out, but realize they may be the problem. Ugh. It does see the keyboard when I try to set it up and it asks me to type the numeric code to pair it, but it barfs and says, "The pairing attempt was unsuccessful...". Any other thoughts?

9. IChing macrumors regular

Trying pressing the return button and the keyboard button at the same time when entering the number.

I had this problem also for a few hours and it was the only thing that worked with my wireless keyboard after searching on the web for answers. I hope it works for you.

10. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

What is the "keyboard button"?

11. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Is there an "on" button or a "connect" button? I think that's what he's talking about.

12. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I tried the power button together with the return/enter key and also various combinations of cntl/option/shift/caps lock etc. Still nothing. It can see the device and recognizes the hardware address. It just won't pair when entering the numeric code that is generated on screen. Total pisser.

13. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

14. Soundie macrumors regular

Soundie

I have exactly the same problem, mind my bluetooth-mouse works fine! Pairing my macbook and my wireless keyboard doesn´t work, could it be an error from apple´s side?

15. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I'm now using a USB Bluetooth dongle and my keyboard works. I suspect an update from Apple will be available at some point.

16. Soundie macrumors regular

Soundie

ah, ok. I´ll just have to wait for the update then

17. Soundie macrumors regular

Soundie

The problem seems to have fixed it self, somehow. Anyway; I´m a happy chappy again :D