Can't pair wireless keyboard + trackpad with second Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zinka, Jan 27, 2011.

1. zinka macrumors regular

Hi! Two Macs in the household: a 2010 MacBook Air and a 2007 MacBook Pro.

I have an Apple Wireless Keyboard and a Magic Trackpad paired with the Air. Everything's working fine with the Air.

Now I'm trying to pair them both with the Pro, so that when the Pro is hooked up to the monitor, it can use the keyboard and trackpad. So I disabled Bluetooth on the Air, enabled it on the Pro, and went to "Set Up Bluetooth Device". And... nothing. Neither the keyboard nor the trackpad shows up, even after pressing keys, clicking the trackpad, etc.

What am I missing? How can I pair them with another computer? Various Google results say it should just work...

Thanks!

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

You have to unpair them from the first computer before you can pair them with another one.

3. zinka thread starter macrumors regular

Well, that's a crappy solution (and, by the way, lots of people on the web say that you can pair them with multiple computers).

If what you say is really true, then if I lose my computer, my keyboard and trackpad are forever useless? That's hard to believe.

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

It seems I was mistaken and there are those that have set up a single keyboard and mouse with multiple computers. I was basing my answer on some threads that I've read here, but a search on the Apple Support Forums proved otherwise.

Are you using the Bluetooth Setup Assistant? Have you tried turning the Bluetooth mouse and keyboard off and on again after disabling Bluetooth on your MBA?