Cant Partition Boot Camp to XP on lion mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Judzmusic, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Judzmusic macrumors newbie

My old macbook with Snow leopard fried itself.. insurance has replaced with brand new macbook with lion.

restored mac with time machine no prob.

trying to restore my winclone backup of my old xp into a bootcamp and VMware..(I must get this xp backup back as it runs an important home business account software, and the taxman is chasing it urgently)

Ive been trying for a week..I've brought the latest winclone version, I've brought the latest VMware version, but the stupid boot camp in Lion will not allow me to create a partition for xp only windows 7???

Do mac actually want me to give more money to windows to buy windows 7??
    I don't want to spend another dollar esp on a rarely used windows program but seems Mac is forcing me to, because I must access these files for tax reasons.

i need help I'm not very experienced with all this so be gentle.

Mac OSX 10.7.3
    Boot Camp 4.0.1
    VMware Fusion 4.1.1
    Winclone 3.2

why can't it be simple.. surely someone has a way around the boot camp windows 7 only option?

2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

You cannot run XP in Boot Camp on Lion.

If you must stick with XP
    - create a new XP virtual machine in your software of choice (VMWare, Parallels, Virtualbox)
    - mount your WinClone image in OS X using WinClone (It's not compatible with Lion, but I believe it should work in Lion since you are not trying to perform a backup)
    - copy over your files from the backup image into your new virtual machine.

3. murphychris macrumors 6502a

It can't be simple because it's not simple. Even Microsoft considers XP a booger that they just can't seem to flick off.

Considering Microsoft does the very least they can to support XP, and soon will not, it's pretty unreasonable to expect Apple to continue to engineer new hardware, and the necessary Windows drivers to support it, on an 11 year old operating system.

The suggestion to do this exclusively in a virtual machine is a good one. You haven't expressed a reason why you need to run Windows XP natively.

I have done a restore of Windows without Bootcamp by using command line tools, which are not simple, dangerous, but extremely powerful. The ability to do what you want exists, but it's anything but simple. Adapting this for GUI tools, I'm not sure if it will work because I've never used WinClone. But you can resize your Mac HD volume to make space (a separate volume) for Windows XP and then use WinClone for Mac to restore your backup to that volume.

What I don't know is if WinClone will reformat that new volume NTFS first, or if you need another tool to do that (or if its backup is a sector copy?) I also don't know if WinClone will create the necessary hybrid MBR, and restore the Windows bootloader into the first 440 bytes of the MBR, so that the computer is bootable to Windows.

Now, even if you get Windows XP restored, invariably it will not have the drivers for your hardware. I can't predict the consequences of this. It may boot fine with lower resolution than you're used to. It may boot with a black screen. Etc. But Apple provides no drivers for new hardware for Windows XP. Why should they?

Sorry, but I decline to coddle. Not to be a dick, but, you kinda need a wake up call on your Windows XP dependency. Your best bet is doing this entirely in a VM, and giving up on dual boot. I see no reason why you'd really need dual boot anyway, except for games. This isn't really about games and not the IRS, is it?

4. Judzmusic thread starter macrumors newbie

no hair left..

No this is definitely not about games I'm not a gamer at all.:eek:

This is about money, I can't afford to shell out for a new accounting software right now. I am a small time musician, and love macs power and stability for running logic and protools, but my current software is only XP compatible. (probably is windows 7 as well, but there goes more money wasted on something i don't really want to use long term.)

i don't care about dual boot, i just need to run this stinking accounting package and I'm not sure if I get a new mac version of it whether it will read my old xp accounting files.

I tried to just use vmware to create a virtual machine, but it doesn't seem winclone restore can recognise it.? it says "no destination found, create windows partition to continue."

Happy to run it in anything native, dual whatever, any format, just as long as i can give my laptop to my bookkeeper to use that program.

I did try and partition just using disk utilities in fat format, and winclone recognised it and allowed a restore to that disk, but although I could see all the files in the right place on that new drive, it wouldn't open xp as normal in vmware/bootcamp.

You lost me about here.. haha

"What I don't know is if WinClone will reformat that new volume NTFS first, or if you need another tool to do that (or if its backup is a sector copy?) I also don't know if WinClone will create the necessary hybrid MBR, and restore the Windows bootloader into the first 440 bytes of the MBR, so that the computer is bootable to Windows."

5. murphychris macrumors 6502a

New accounting software, AccountEdge Basic $99.

Makes sense.

Huge mistake. You don't like the accounting software, don't want to upgrade it, it depends on an 11 year old OS to function. You don't have the general journal exported every time you engage in data entry? You should always have financial records in a non-proprietary format for exactly the situation you're in right now. A huge amount of effort, that you wouldn't need if you had a general journal in plain text format.

Have you looked in the vmware forums? How about this?
    http://communities.vmware.com/thread/155867

Have you inquired with the WinClone developer for how you might go about doing this with either VMware or Virtual Box?

Forget what I wrote, I already found out Winclone does do this. You probably need to work with VMware forums and the Winclone developer to find out why Windows XP won't boot. I think you're very close to figuring this out. Sounds like the data is restored into a VM, but the VM won't boot. You bought Winclone for Mac? The developer seems responsive to inquiries, I suggest that if the vmware forum links don't pan out.

Once you get this sorted, you need to export the general journal from the old accounting package, and then as quickly as practical, migrate to something else, e.g. AccountEdge. The whole Bootcamp setup was just for accounting? Seriously? My god... what a huge waste of time and effort. You are hurting yourself for no good reason. Just stop.

6. peimad, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

peimad macrumors newbie

My suggestion to Judzmusic is to try Parallels. Works well for me.

Good luck.