Can't partition drive or install 10.6 or 10.7

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dutch85, Jun 5, 2012.

1. dutch85 macrumors newbie

So, I have had quite the array of problems the past week or two.

It all started when my mac randomly froze, when I started it back up it was asking for login info. I originally had it setup to automatically login. It would not accept my user password, I tried a plethora of things including resetting password, creating a new user in single user mode ect what it came down to is me deleting the .AppleSetupdone file. I was able to setup a new user and all was good. So now that I could login and back my stuff up, I did that. Then since my Leopard install had two users one of which was useless and all my stuff was backed up, I figured I would finally upgrade to lion. My lion install kept freezing sometimes with an error sometimes without, there didn't seem to be any reoccurring pattern with the freezing and errors. I'm currently running leopard 10.3.3 from an SD card, and still trying to get any OS on my hard drive, but I get the following errors when trying to partition

POSIX reports: Cannot allocate memory
    newfs_hfs: write (sector 0): Cannot allocate memory
    POSIX reports: The operation couldn’t be completed. Input/output error

I have tried formatting/partitioning 2 different internal hard drives and I get the same errors, but I can format/partition usb drives and SD cards. I had to force unmount and use terminal to originally erase the internal drives. I was also able to format/partition as NTFS but not HFS+. I believe it is safe to say my RAM is fine since I am currently writing this post from an SD card install on the same mac.

2. dutch85 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I think I have a bad SATA cable, I pulled it, and the is a very small section that is silver instead of black and when I rub my finger across it, it's rough.

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Sounds like the right symptoms. Let us know hoe it goes!

4. dutch85 thread starter macrumors newbie

I got my new SATA cable today, and it was smooth sailing from there. I found out that the area I thought was silver showing was actually just a dotted line for where the sata cable needed to be folded, but despite that my cable was bad and everything works great now.